Cocci is LETHAL...DO NOT take it lightly...

kaybats

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Seasoned chicken owners will know this, but i am posting for anyone new like me.

Yesterday, everyone was fine. Running around and then the excitement at seeing me...what a thrill!

In hindsight, I remember one of my little Buffs being a bit standoffish. On my last trip out to the barn, the last of a about a million I make every day, she looked "sick". Sadness overtook me as upon further investigation, I found BLOODY POOP in the pen!!!!! COCCI!!!!! Nothing I could do at the moment, everything was closed.

I took her out of the pen, and kept her as warm and comfortable as I could. I was up with her most of the night. She left this world somewhere between 6 and 6:30 this am.

The second MFA was open I was there to get the Corid. The other 9 are doing great...had to force feed some of them but they are all doing great all the same.

I WILL NEVER, EVER BE WITHOUT A SUPPLY OF CORID, I PROMISE Y'ALL THAT! Not after having to bury my poor little 4 week old golden bundle!!!!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
because I was a stupid!!!!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you lost your chick, kaybats. You were not stupid! You found out what they had and bought the meds to make sure your other chicks would survive. That was anything but stupid.
hugs.gif

You gave good advice--I keep a package of corid in my supplies, too, just in case. Just because cocci is common does not mean that it's any less lethal.

no, your not stupid. We actually lost one of my favorite silkies, Minnie, a few days ago to coccidosis, because we didn't know what she had, or what we needed to treat it.
sad.png
We tried to make her as comfortable as she could before she passed away, though.

Now, the other silkie, Tweety, who she was very attached to, has it as well. We are treating him right now, and so far, he's doing okay.

You did all you could do. You kept her comfortable before she passed. She knows that you did all you can do.
hugs.gif
Don't feel too bad, okay?

Thank you Blue. I really, REALLY needed to hear your words of encouragement! I am so new at this, but really did a ton of research BEFORE I did anything. I don't think, though , that ANY amount of research could compare to the real life experience. And it sure can be heartbreaking. I have taken in strays almost all my life and have been heartbroken many, many times. You would think that would have "toughened" me up. A true animal lover , I believe, could never get "toughened" up.

Thanks, again.

K

Silkie---I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE Tweety will get well!!!! It's such a horrible disease! So quick to kill. I was just lucky to have found a thread right here on BYC weeks ago by accident to have recognized it so quickly. PLEASE post Tweety's condition...PM if nothing else!!!!!

K

K, birds are known to show no symptoms till it's almost too late. They're prey. If she went that fast, you may not have had time to save her. It's good you will keep some corrid on hand, I do because it's the first thing I treat for when they're sick if I don't know why, and it's not a snotty nose.
Sorry it happened.

Quote:
I know, she went downhill very quickly. It was really hard losing Minnie, because I helped her eat and drink, and she had two broken legs, so she was very special to me since I had to help her a lot. I actually have a thread, where I have Minnie & Tweety on with pictures of them, if you would like.
smile.png
It's called Silkie chick with a broken leg? . Hopefully he will be all right.... Don't want to lose him ,too.
sad.png

I'm hoping your chicks will be alright too.
fl.gif
It's so hard to lose the ones you are close to.

Quote:
Karen,
It was that fast...I couldn't believe how fast. I couldn't hang on to her for just a few more hours till I got the Corid....THAT will NEVER happen again. She was just starting to feather out...a beautiful golden bird...WHY??????

Why??? Death is random.
I give each demise a burial and a prayer. I take each one seriously. And the only way I deal with it is to go out and envelope myself in chicken love! They are all so precious, and at times like you are having now, they are even more precious and let them bring you happiness.

With my last 2 cocci victims, one was laying on her side, I rushed her in and gave her some water dribbles with the sulmet already in it, and she actually looked a whole lot better after 15 minutes. Her step brother was then found spewing blood, it was nasty. He responded within the day. He took months to catch up in size. He's my alpha roo now. And to think that I was bringing a hen home for the neighbor and the hen laid an egg in my car, and I put it in the fridge, then got it out and put it in the bator, and what do you know???? Alpha roo!!!

I'm sorry it happened.

Karen

Quote:
Karen,
It was that fast...I couldn't believe how fast. I couldn't hang on to her for just a few more hours till I got the Corid....THAT will NEVER happen again. She was just starting to feather out...a beautiful golden bird...WHY??????

It was her time to go. Death is inevitable--I'm just sorry that you had so little time to get to know her before you had to say goodbye.
hugs.gif

Don't beat yourself up for not being able to get the Corid immediately, if she spiraled down that fast, there may not have been much you could have done. Birds are so good at hiding when they're sick--she may have been beyond help. You did all you could--you made her comfortable until her last moments. You care about your birds, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom