Cocci - Not responding to Corrid

One of my pullets just started laying - found the eggs today. Is there a withdrawal period for Toltrazuril?
I have just been looking into this. Most places in the world it is not approved for laying hens and so there is no official egg withdrawal period.
That said, poultry mania as @dawg53 says asserts 19days and a NZ site quoted 10 days.
The academic papers that have looked at residuals show that it becomes undetectable in egg yolk (where it is concentrated) at 70 days. But is pretty damn low at 42 days. There are no established maximum residual levels but the EU proposed one of 140micrograms per kg for eggs and the study showed it well below that level at 42 days.
For some reason I cannot get a hold of the actual data to see when the residual was at the EU proposed maximum level so we are on our own!

Have you already used it - I have the powdered version and I am a tad freaked out by all the warnings about it being very alkaline and an irritant. I want to dose only the sick hen. How did you administer it?

I have just been looking into this. Most places in the world it is not approved for laying hens and so there is no official egg withdrawal period.
That said, poultry mania as @dawg53 says asserts 19days and a NZ site quoted 10 days.
The academic papers that have looked at residuals show that it becomes undetectable in egg yolk (where it is concentrated) at 70 days. But is pretty damn low at 42 days. There are no established maximum residual levels but the EU proposed one of 140micrograms per kg for eggs and the study showed it well below that level at 42 days.
For some reason I cannot get a hold of the actual data to see when the residual was at the EU proposed maximum level so we are on our own!

Have you already used it - I have the powdered version and I am a tad freaked out by all the warnings about it being very alkaline and an irritant. I want to dose only the sick hen. How did you administer it?
Honestly I had no idea before I tried to find the egg withdrawal period that the egg withdrawal period was so long and understudied. I don’t know if I would have used it otherwise, but I have really sick chickens and chicks not responding to Corrid and that was what was what was recommended on here. I read about the medicine itself and it seemed like an effective option. I just didn’t realize about the impacts for laying hens. I have a flock of 17 and 10 chicks. It’s difficult to tell who’s sick and who’s not. They’re all exposed. I’ve been treating everyone in their drinking water. Today is day 3. I had more bloody poo with the switchover. I think they’re doing better today, but still a lot of loose stools. Not as much blood. I’m not sure what to try next if this doesn’t work.

Honestly I had no idea before I tried to find the egg withdrawal period that the egg withdrawal period was so long and understudied. I don’t know if I would have used it otherwise, but I have really sick chickens and chicks not responding to Corrid and that was what was what was recommended on here. I read about the medicine itself and it seemed like an effective option. I just didn’t realize about the impacts for laying hens. I have a flock of 17 and 10 chicks. It’s difficult to tell who’s sick and who’s not. They’re all exposed. I’ve been treating everyone in their drinking water. Today is day 3. I had more bloody poo with the switchover. I think they’re doing better today, but still a lot of loose stools. Not as much blood. I’m not sure what to try next if this doesn’t work.
I hope it works out.
I like to know the facts about accumulation in eggs and then make my own decision. There is little data on safety of the chemical in people so I might be more cautious than normal. What data there is suggests it is pretty safe but some concerns about long term and high dose exposure.
If it were me I would probably chuck the eggs for about a month and then just not binge on eggs for another month.
But that is just me!

I hope it works out.
I like to know the facts about accumulation in eggs and then make my own decision. There is little data on safety of the chemical in people so I might be more cautious than normal. What data there is suggests it is pretty safe but some concerns about long term and high dose exposure.
If it were me I would probably chuck the eggs for about a month and then just not binge on eggs for another month.
But that is just me!
That’s what I think I’m going to do if all goes well. I may wait a little extra long just to be safe because I have little kids. Right now, I think we’ll have to do a repeat dose but giving it a day or two to see first. Waiting a few extra months for eggs isn’t so bad if they’re okay. (My kids were like - “We have an egg!” and I was like “and throw it away…”. But now they’re having fun collecting them to throw them away - haha! We just want them all well again!

No, just the Toltrazuril. Wait another day and see it it does the job for you.
I finished the 3-day course but all the chickens and chicks are having loose black tarry possibly bloody diarrhea. I don’t know what to do at this point. I was going to restart Corrid, as it seemed to work better but they’ve been weeks at this point and I’m worried about B deficiencies too. This morning I noticed that the chicks have red irritated skin and are picking out their feathers. Is this an allergic reaction or side aleffect to the Toltrazuril or the Corrid? Or is this Cocci? Don’t want to make them worse. Any ideas. What would you do? How can I soothe their skin and get them to stop picking?

I finished the 3-day course but all the chickens and chicks are having loose black tarry possibly bloody diarrhea. I don’t know what to do at this point. I was going to restart Corrid, as it seemed to work better but they’ve been weeks at this point and I’m worried about B deficiencies too. This morning I noticed that the chicks have red irritated skin and are picking out their feathers. Is this an allergic reaction or side aleffect to the Toltrazuril or the Corrid? Or is this Cocci? Don’t want to make them worse. Any ideas. What would you do? How can I soothe their skin and get them to stop picking?
I am no expert... but, anecdotally, I recently gave Corid to half the hens and Safeguard to the other half (why is a long story, having to do with egg withdrawal)

afterwards lots of the poo was weird, black, (or dark dark green), 'splat' shaped, like an egg falling on a concrete floor. I had one of the Corid girls give me a scare, her poo was gelatinous like the white of an egg, but with weird colors in it, including shapes and 'stuff'. I thought she would die on me for how weird the poo was. I took her with me everywhere for a few days, she was my 'arm-chicken', carrying her like a newborn. Whenever I had to put her down for a minute she would disappear and go back to a 'high-up' nesting box she would hide in so her 'sisters' didn't peck at her. She wouldn't eat, even though I offered her the top-shelf snack. (including her very own corn on the cob!) I would dip her beak in water, but she wouldn't drink either.

But after a few days the poo is starting to become normal. I wonder if whatever was in them cleared out, and that is part of their body reacting to the rebalancing... they live in a state of balance with a number of bugs in their guts (microbiome) the same way we do, so the meds might kill off some of their good bugs and need to repopulate their guts.

I just said a few prayers while cleaning up the poo and let them outside to devastate the last few plants that have survived the heat and the chickens. They are alive... the poo is becoming more standard... and they are 'mostly' back to looking well. Can't say I enjoyed my first experience of these meds.

(yes, I did give yogourt and other 'gut meds' but that did nothing special to those who got it, the non-yogurt girls healed at the same rate. They do enjoy the yogurt for the taste though, so it made them happy)

How can I soothe their skin and get them to stop picking?

If you have a feed supply store they likely have "anti pecking" liquid, or you can search here (or google) for a homemade recipe. Just test to make sure it does not burn if they have sores or irritation on the skin.

For healing creams, best not to use the ones for humans as they often have an ingredient that can be bad for their heart health and they have been through enough (as have you). Look around the kitchen for something non irritating or stick to that little blue bottle of vetericyn.

Back
Top Bottom