Cocci or respiratory ilness? Help?!

5Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Dec 13, 2007
I think a couple of my chicks may have cocci. Maybe I am just worrying too much, but I just have a feeling.

Chicks are a week old. all of them but one had to be taken from their mother on the morning of day two as the mom was not having anything to do with the chicks. One had to be kept inside on day one when it hatched b/c it was abandoned. They have been inside the house since then in a brooder. Two days ago, one chick was sneezing but he stopped yesterday. The poops have been normal up until now. There are some poops where they look a bit pink along with normal poop, so it looks a bit like just a poop with intestinal shedding. As of today I found a spot of blood and another chick is sneezing. They all have an appetite and are drinking fine. Is this cocci and should I treat it as soon as I can? Or is it something else I am just worrying too much about?

I also have noticed that the first little chick is sneezing a lot with yawning and making a clicking noise. Is this a sign of a respiratory illness?

Thank you

Last edited:
I would treat them with powdered antibiotic in their water as well as corid for the cocci.

Vitamin and electrolytes are good to have on hand as well.

It is not normal for them to be sneezing, yawning and making a clicking sound while breathing. Good luck!

I would treat them with powdered antibiotic in their water as well as corid for the cocci.

Vitamin and electrolytes are good to have on hand as well.

It is not normal for them to be sneezing, yawning and making a clicking sound while breathing. Good luck!

This morning I got corid and started treating them and they also have access to vitamin/probiotic mix in the water. As of this evening all chicks are doing much better than this morning. The one who I was most worried about has stopped the yawning/clicking and only has the very occasional sneeze. He has started drinking and eating as well more and running around a bit with his buddies.
Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom