Cocci question

DKForge

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Northern Pennsylvania
Sorry I tried doing a search to find the answer but after reading through pages of posts I can't seem to find what I was looking for.

I have eleven chicks that are ten days old. One is smaller than the others. She seems to stand off by herself and sleep a lot and sometimes will not open one eye. She seems to eat and drink just fine but while the others will run around if you try to pick them up she just sits there and lets you pick her up. When you hold her she closes her eyes and lays her head down. I read some posts that suggested this type of behavior could be Cocci. My chicks came from a hatchery, have never been outside, and have been on medicated chick starter from day one.

Could this really be Cocci if they have never been outside the brooder and always on the medicated starter? Is she just a runt?

Signed
A concerned dad

Sorry I tried doing a search to find the answer but after reading through pages of posts I can't seem to find what I was looking for.

I have eleven chicks that are ten days old. One is smaller than the others. She seems to stand off by herself and sleep a lot and sometimes will not open one eye. She seems to eat and drink just fine but while the others will run around if you try to pick them up she just sits there and lets you pick her up. When you hold her she closes her eyes and lays her head down. I read some posts that suggested this type of behavior could be Cocci. My chicks came from a hatchery, have never been outside, and have been on medicated chick starter from day one.

Could this really be Cocci if they have never been outside the brooder and always on the medicated starter? Is she just a runt?

Signed
A concerned dad

Hey Dad! I highly doubt its cocci is they are on medicated food and have never been outside...UNLESS...you have older birds ...you take care of them and then touch the chicks and such...youd be the carrier....If this is not the case...then your chick just might be a failure to thrive;( something internally wrong type situation...cocci also has classic signs..bloody stools? Have you seen blood?

No older birds this is our first foray into the world of chickens. No bloody stools either. This poor little girl just seems out of sorts from the others. I have tried to watch to see if she is being bullied around by the others and she is pushed aside sometimes because of her size but that is all I am seeing.

Out of curiosity does it hurt to give Corid for Cocci if they don't have it? Again they are 11 days old.

Thanks
D-

If you're not seeing more definite signs of coccidiosis than what you have described I would not treat with Corrid. You might isolate her and baby her a bit if you're inclined, but otherwise it sounds like "failure to thrive" to me.

If it were coccidiosis you'd likely see it in some or all of the other chicks as well. Keep their bedding DRY, relatively clean, and their water fresh and clean and you'll likely never have coccidiosis in your brooder.

If you're not seeing more definite signs of coccidiosis than what you have described I would not treat with Corrid. You might isolate her and baby her a bit if you're inclined, but otherwise it sounds like "failure to thrive" to me.
If it were coccidiosis you'd likely see it in some or all of the other chicks as well. Keep their bedding DRY, relatively clean, and their water fresh and clean and you'll likely never have coccidiosis in your brooder.

Agree...no corrid without more symptoms of cocci...

Back
Top Bottom