Cocci: RIP little Puff

She is up and staggering around- she could not move on her own last night... She's had a bunch of very watery diarrhea, but i imagine that has something to do with the amount of Sulmet water I have been syringing into her. There is no blood in the poo, thankfully. She is definitely much better than last night, but she is still in serious trouble. I'm hoping she will hold out until that Sulmet starts to help.

She has had a few bloody poops, which concerns me... But, she is staying up and alert. When I put food into her beak, she will munch it down, which seems like a good sign. She's still off balance, and fluffed up, but maybe there is some hope.

how often should I be making her eat? I've made a nice thin glop with dissolved chick starter (medicated, can't hurt, might help, who knows!), yogurt, and milk powder, I've been syringing it with a little 5cc, every couple hours. I'm also syringing her water. She's in the house now, during the night it was warmer on the carport, but during the day it's just too hot for her. The flies are awful. So she is in the living room on a towel and heating pad. The difference between now and last night is amazing. She does not lie on her side anymore, her eyes are open, and she makes sad little whines when I'm bugging her. Her legs and body are warm, last night she was cold as ice even out in 85 degree weather with a lamp on her.

I don't know if she will make it but I'm not going to stop trying. I also bought a huge thing of the Sulmet and am getting the Corid on payday so I will have a big old stash of these available if this happens again.

None of the other birds (adult, or the ones with her, or the youngest ones) are showing any sign of illness, which is great. They're all being treated though.

Here is a pic of her yesterday afternoon...

253889_10150214133924795_513679794_7118235_5460496_n.jpg

and here she is now... Don't laugh at me, the clip keeps her head from getting the mash glued to the feathers.

252569_10150214137289795_513679794_7118246_1302174_n.jpg

Last edited:
Awwwww. I am so happy for you and her. I really hope she makes a full recovery. I am not sure how often to feed her, I would say at least 3 times a day. You are doing such a great Job!!!!!

She is so pitiful, she makes these little dove coos and whimpers if she gets startled. She's a good little patient, and likes her heating pad bed right now. the others are all looking great, but I did move the three that came with her into the big "hospital" pen so I can keep an eye on their poo. They're drinking their Sulmet laced water very well, so if they've got it, hopefully that will take it out before it gets to where little Puff's condition did.

Your story of this little one has really captured my heart. I've revisited this thread countless times over the last day and I'm so so glad she seems to be responding to your efforts. I think youre doing a wonderful job, & I'm crossing everything that she pulls through!
Signs are definitely good and I'm sure her new hairdo has cheered her up no end
wink.png
xxx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom