Cocci treatment, new idea, what do you think?

Please know the chicks ARE being medicated with CORRID to treat the parasite problem.

Cafarmgirl, you bring up a VERY good question and its one I asked myself in regard to my horse. I checked with equine supplement experts when I had this question about my horse being on medication, and they double checked with the staff verterinarian, then got back to me that it will not affect medications. The way the mucogenous properties in the supplement work, it turns into a gel in the stomach that lines the stomach and allows nutrients and other substances to still be absorbed.

I am wishing I hadn't titled my post the way I did now... I want to reassure everyone that we ARE medicating with Corrid as of this morning when we got some, as I said in above posts.

I would NOT think that this gut supplement would somehow affect parasites, my reason for giving the supplement is to help the stomach itself heal, since the parasites damage the stomach itself, thus the reason for the bloody poop.
This equine supplement was made by veternarians to fill that purpose, to help lesions in the stomach heal themselves, and the only difference here is what has caused the lesions and the species involved. A recent study at a top university showed that this supplement signifigantly decreased the number and severity of gastric lessions.
I know it works well for equines, my horse is the happy comfortable proof, I just wanted to know if the same principals in horse health would carry over to poultry.
I myself am convinced that it will help, so after some debate and looking at the ingredients over and over, I finally just gave them some this afternoon.
The small pellet disolved easily in water and made a loose gel... I put it in a tiny dish and they have pecked at it and eaten some. Everybody is still running around eating and drinking and playing.

We will continue to treat the chicks with Corrid for the full recommended treatment period. One thing I AM hoping is that a better healed stomach will keep the chicks from coming down with the secondary outbreak I have heard about.
Should not have a problem with a secondary out break of cocci unless new birds are brought in, these ones are moved to a new place, new soil is brought in, that kind of situation. Once they have been exposed to the cocci presently in their environment they start building immunity to it.

Back
Top Bottom