Cocci Troubles--Any Advice?

my sunwolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Southwest Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
We've been having serious coccidiosis troubles this year; I think it's from the amount of different sources we've been getting our poultry from. First I had a group of babies show bloody poo, so we started them on Corid. Then we had the vet analyse a fecal sample from our adult flock, and though there were no worms, there was an overabundance of cocci bacteria. Only a few members of that flock were actually showing bloody poo.

We've got everyone on Corid now (the liquid kind at 1tsp/gallon).

I was under the impression that cocci bacteria are in most soils where chickens have lived. Besides wet, warm conditions, what causes them to get out of control like this?

Could it be that the bacteria are under control, but that the poultry I brought in have a strain of coccidiosis that my original flock has no resistance to?

Besides not introducing adult birds into the flock, is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future? Bedding is dry, and I've never had a cocci problem before now.

Thanks for any advice
hmm.png

The new poultry could definitely be a cause of cocci. To prevent it in the future, probably quarantine the new birds, and you should be fine.

Good luck!

I agree with BuffOrpington88, quarantining new birds for at least 6 weeks is best. There are 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. The soil where you live may only contain several strains of cocci for example. Introducing new birds from different places brings in different strains of cocci and other unseen problems infecting your current flock. By the same token your current flock could infect the newly incoming birds with different cocci on their current soil and other unseen things as well. There are only about 2 or 3 strains cocci that causes blood in feces.

Okay, here are some more questions:

How does quarantine help?

If chickens have a CRD, they are always carriers of respiratory, right? So won't they give it to my flock even after 6 weeks of separation? Sometimes they don't even show symptoms when they're carriers. This has happened to me even after a 2 month quarantine.

Doesn't the same logic apply to cocci? Aren't small amounts of cocci carried in the intestines of all chickens? So regardless of quarantine time, wouldn't they still carry the cocci? And therefore be able to pass the different strain onto my flock?

Just confused here.

not exactly sure but i do know corid is the only medication that kills all 9 strains of cocci. as far as cocci in the soil there is a method of slow introduction that helps build resistance. you can do this by slowly bringing the birds out to soil little at a time allowing them to build resistance to the cocci that is present. when the cocci bacteria over runs the good bacteria is when the issue becomes dangerous. what you want is for them to slowly establish imunity to the cocci thus no longer causing illness. cocci is in the soil no getting around that but if they gradually aquire immunity, then illness will no longer be an issue. all will have cocci in the intestine as i understand it. its the chickens immunity and resistance that keeps it at a mamageable level. what can be helpful after treated is giving probotics like probios
the theory behind this is the good bacteria that is given by the probotic takes up residence in areas where bad bacteria can dwell,giving the chicken even more restance to the negative or bad bacteria. so along with gradual introduction, a probiotic can be extremely benifitial in the fight against cocci. allowing the bird imcreased immunity. hope this is helpful! best wishes

not exactly sure but i do know corid is the only medication that kills all 9 strains of cocci. as far as cocci in the soil there is a method of slow introduction that helps build resistance. you can do this by slowly bringing the birds out to soil little at a time allowing them to build resistance to the cocci that is present. when the cocci bacteria over runs the good bacteria is when the issue becomes dangerous. what you want is for them to slowly establish imunity to the cocci thus no longer causing illness. cocci is in the soil no getting around that but if they gradually aquire immunity, then illness will no longer be an issue. all will have cocci in the intestine as i understand it. its the chickens immunity and resistance that keeps it at a mamageable level. what can be helpful after treated is giving probotics like probios
the theory behind this is the good bacteria that is given by the probotic takes up residence in areas where bad bacteria can dwell,giving the chicken even more restance to the negative or bad bacteria. so along with gradual introduction, a probiotic can be extremely benifitial in the fight against cocci. allowing the bird imcreased immunity. hope this is helpful! best wishes

Thank you, this is very helpful.

its more of a resistance than cure.remember cocci is always in the dirt and intestine but its there resistance or immunity to it that keeps it at a level where immumity is possiable. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom