Cocci... what it looks like, and what we did *Warning! poop-shots!*

smile.png
You're welcome. Glad to help.

Well, I have an update, but it isn't a happy one. I force fed Orpie through a syringe yesterday with the sulmet water about 1cc every hour or so hoping the medicine would start turning him around until I could get some of the amprol, and I kept him beside my bed last night, but he died early this morning.
hit.gif

I thought my birds were protected because I fed them medicated feed, but appearantely I was naive. Some people may look at chickens as nothing more than a noisy, smelly, source of food, but they just haven't had the blessing of letting a wad of feathers steal their hearts.
love.gif

I'm going to try to find the amprolium today if at all possible and start the others on it. I have another baby that I noticed looked sick and is much lighter than the rest.
fl.gif

Thank you to all for the prayers and concern.

edited to add: I agree if we could make this a sticky I think it could be beneficial for all.

Last edited:
Quote:
:aww Mudder!!! I'm so sorry!!! If you notice the others looking pooky, use the Sulmet on them now. The Amprolium is great if you have it, but I only use it for advanced cases (way more expensive). Sulmet - 2 tbsp/gallon for the first few days as the instructions state... and to get them to drink it I just dip their beaks. Was Orpie not even wanting to drink? If so, then he might have been too far gone.
sad.png

Also, in general, the cocci feeds on protein, so chick crumbles cut 50/50 with rice baby cereal is a good feed for them for the first few weeks after they are sick. No eggs, no yogurt, nothing with protein in it. No multi vitamins, either, as they can counteract the meds (or so I'm told, and there are much more knowledgeable people out there than me!). Just electrolytes, medicated water, and the cut crumbles.

fl.gif
for your others...
hugs.gif

I was wondering where you guys get your Sulmet. The only stuff I can find is the horse tablets and it's such a big bottle that it's really expensive! Anywhere to order it online? Also the Amprolium?

Just for future reference....what if they are on medicated feed and you believe they have cocci...since they supposedly already have amprolium in their feed, then could you give it to them in their water too?
I know you could start with Sulmet, but if it is so far along that you need amprolium, would you give it and keep giving the med. feed?
~Rebecca

Quote:
Kelly, I get my Sulmet at the local feed store, but the Amprol I get online from First State Vet...

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_29&products_id=197

Rebecca, I'm not sure about that... perhaps someone knows. I do know that the Sulmet is harder on their system, but if the Cocci has a good grip, the higher dosage of Amprol seems to help kick it. I also administered 0.25cc Tylan 50 injectible into her neck, just in case the Amprol/Sulmet reduced her resistance to other opportunistic infections. She seems to have made a wonderful recovery. She is back with her sibs, playing chicken-games, and all seem to be resisting marvelously.
smile.png
I'm thrilled... these babies, though they're in their awkward teenager phase, are really starting to show their beauty. The lacing on the wings is just beautiful. I sure can't wait to add some Suedelettes to the mix next year.
wink.png

PC... thank you.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I have just caught up with this thread and noticed Mrs AK Bird Brain's instruction not to give protein while you are treating cocci.
I have treated my small flock of chicks and at last there is no more bloody poo. The very sick one that I isolated is like a new hen!
I started giving them yogurt and boiled egg as soon as the course of Sulmet was over - is this too soon? They love it so much I couldn't resist starting again, but am I hindering rather than helping?
I have also let them out into the run for some sunlight.
They are very happy, active hens.
Any opinions on the protein?

My understanding is that the Cocci feeds on the protein, so if treatment is over, you should be ok to start giving a little yogurt so they'll build up the "good bugs", but if you can hold off for about 4 weeks, that is best. I've been feeding my patients with a 50/50 mixture of crumbles and ground raw oats... they love it.
smile.png

Sounds like you did really well treating them...
hugs.gif
I'm so happy to hear it!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom