Cocci... what it looks like, and what we did *Warning! poop-shots!*

Mrs MIA

Chick Magnet
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Last month I lost a blue orpington (Sapphire) and a light brahma cross to cocci. I had never experienced it before, and all I noticed was that the pen full of chicks had a few that were not as peppy as before. My brooder is a 4x4' enclosed pen, shavings, with a heat lamp in one corner. So far it has been working out great, and is perfect for a dozen chicks that are older than a week. Every day I fluff the shavings, take out any clumpies, fresh food, fresh water (many times a day). These chicks have never set foot on soil, and it is one of 10 similar pens than house other breeds, some of which DO go outside now that they're old enough.

The day before yesterday I checked all the chicks... everyone is chipper, bright, running around, eating, drinking... great.
smile.png
We're happy.
Yesterday, during the morning rounds, I'm greeted by an orpington chick that can't seem to get up. I thought at first that she had hurt her leg rough-housing with the others, but when I picked her up I realized that she was very light. I checked the pen... no sign of bloody poo that I could see, but I brought her inside, put her in her own box with heat, food, water, and waited for her to poop.

Here's what the chicks look like when they're starting to feel sick from Cocci...
Sapphire
IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

Pearl
IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

Note the fluffed up appearance, the pale face, the sleepy look...

Then, two hours later, Pearl pooped... this is what it looks like...
(Sapphire's, day before she died)
IMG_3211.jpg

Pearl's, yesterday morning...
IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

That clinched it for me...
4 cc (ml) of Amprol 9.6% solution/1 gallon of water , and I forced her beak into it to drink several times yesterday. It was actually easy, because I put the waterer in front of her, and when her head fell forward as she fell asleep, as soon as it hit the water she would drink.
smile.png
She's still only getting crumbles at this point, because you want to decrease the protein intake. Later it is good to give them a little yogurt to get the good bugs back in their systems.

And then you wait. Hopefully, you catch it when they first start looking lethargic. Don't wait to see. Separate them, put them on wire if you can to isolate them from the poopies... the oocytes that cause the illness are passed through the poopies.

This morning, we all breathed a sigh of relief...
Poopies are starting to look a little more normal, more brown and green than red...
IMG_3374.jpg

And she's eating and standing!!
IMG_3377.jpg

I lost the first chicks because I only had Sulmet on hand - I have to order other meds online, and it didn't get here until two days after Sapphire passed. Using Sulmet on the birds that were showing milder symptoms perked them up immediately. But if they're so far gone as to be hunkered down, fluffed up, and non-responsive, the Amprolium is a way to hit it hard and fast. The directions on Amprol/Corid is 9.5 cc/1 gallon... keep in mind that this med is intended for use with pigs and cattle... drop it to 4cc/1 gallon for the first 5 days, then 2cc/gallon for 2 more days.

This is what we did, and I'm happy to report that she's cheeping and active again. Not out of the woods, but much better.

I hope that this will help anyone else that is wondering if this is what their chicks have/had, and that anyone with more experience will add their successes and techniqes to the thread. Cocci has been bad this year. If this helps save other chickies from the same fate as my little Sapphire, then her death will not have been for nothing.
hugs.gif

Thank you for posting that and I'm sorry about Sapphire. Glad you caught it in time and were able to save the rest. Now we'll all know what to watch out for!

Sorry for your loss, but thank you for the info.

I've worried on many times I've seen runny poo from my birds. However, they've looked nothing like this, so I have a sign of relief for that. I do feel I should probably order these meds and have them on hand in an emergency, especially since cocci has seemed to be so rampant this year.

Thank you for educating me, I'm new at birds and I couldn't bare the loss of one. I'm too attached to say the least.

You're welcome. It was the hardest thing ever to tell Speckledhen (Cyn) that I had lost Sapphire to it... she was the only chick to hatch from the eggs she sent me, and was a beautiful girl. Cocci is preventable, and is treatable if you know the signs.
smile.png

The internet and the ability to share photos with people all over the world is a beautiful thing.
smile.png

Oh, and yes... if you have chickens on dirt, Sulmet and Amprolium are a must-have in your medicine cabinets...
wink.png

Thank you Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain. It sounds exactly like what my orps. are going through. I have already lost my only splash orp, and three of my blue orps. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but just based on your descriptions and the pics of the lethargic, fluffed up, nonresponsive, sleepy birds, that is what is going on with mine.

I have one bundled up in a towel in the bed with me right now, and if he can hold on until tomorrow, I am going to try to find some of the amprolium. He is snuggled up to my husband and both are taking a nap right now. I know he isn't eating or drinking, but maybe he can hang on through tomorrow. If you didn't know the chicken was sick, you would think I had two sleepy boys.

Thank you again so very much.

I was so sorry and sad for you when Sapphire passed. I'm thinking something is really fishy with the meds in medicated feed this year. It's odd that all these birds are getting overwhelmed by cocci in spite of the meds they have from Day One. Hopefully, you'll have lots of sweet baby Orpingtons in the spring.

Quote:
Do you have Sulmet on hand? You can start with that.
fl.gif
I hope your little one hangs in there....
hugs.gif

Quote:
I know...
hugs.gif
Damit, I'm still crying...

I think I'm going to set up a brooder on wire for the Orps. I hate to do it, when they're so small - wire just seems cold and impersonal - but if it helps, I may have to do it. I'm just glad that the experience with Sapphire allowed me to save Pearl. The other 8 in the pen are just as spunky as ever.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom