Cocci? What to do!

Frecky45

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
Gladstone, Oregon
Hi All. I'm sure this has been discussed many times. I'm just very concerned for my other girls and want to do what I can to keep them safe. I have 3 Black Sexlinks about 10 months old. They have been giving me about 16 to 18 eggs a week since they were 6 months. The last three days Elizabeth has been spending time in the nest box. I thought she might be broody. Ask some chicken friends who agreed that might be it. She was always out the door in the AM to eat and I saw nothing wrong with her movements or posture. 9PM last night I found her under the coop all fluffed up. When I picked her up she acted as usual, flapping and trying to get loose until I got a proper hold of her. She went right into the coop. This morning I found her dead. I haven't seen any diarrhea or bloody poop. Could this be Coccidiosis? What do I do to keep the other two safe? I also have 37 wk chicks that I was planning to start transitioning to the outside coop. Please help if you can.

I just had something similar happen to me 2 months ago. Only my hen was 22 months. No idea if it was cocci or not. The only symptoms I saw in her was a white discharge from her vent, probably Gleet, fluffing up the next day and dead before I could even get something into her. I am questioning if it is a cocci. It's possible and I was going to treat with the Corid to see if it would help, never got the chance.

I do know that some of the coccidia are resistant to the amprolium and you may have to treat with Di-Methox to get results. There is a difference in the withdrawal times for each of these options. Corid, there really isn't one. You stop it and that's that, eggs are safe to eat. Di-Methox on the other hand has a 5 day withdrawal period where you wouldnt want to use the eggs because of traces of the medication.

I have just started a course of Acidified Copper Sulfate with my birds. This is used to treat both Gleet and Coccidiosis. Dosing is 1/4 tsp. per gallon of water for 5 days. I am not sure of the withdrawal time for this as this stuff is added to water systems to keep it safe to drink. When in doubt 7-14 days for withdrawal if I can't find the info..

It sounds more like she was egg impacted, not much you can do about that. Black Stars are one of my favorites. Sorry for your loss.
True Dawg53. Didn't think of that and I should have, since I've had it here as well. If Dawg is correct and he most probably is, lol, you do nothing but check your girls from time to time to make sure they are laying okay and have no lumps in their abdomens.

that's why I said I was questioning the cocci, birds that age normally do not have a problem with coccidiosis.

Well it wasn't Cocci or being egg impacted. Elizabeth die from gout. I had her sent to the university for a necropsy. I don't want to introduce my young chicks to a run that is not healthy. So it isn't their living space which is good. Now to figure out what she was eating other than her layer food. Thank you for your suggestions. It's nice being able to get answers and idea here.

Well it wasn't Cocci or being egg impacted. Elizabeth die from gout. I had her sent to the university for a necropsy. I don't want to introduce my young chicks to a run that is not healthy. So it isn't their living space which is good. Now to figure out what she was eating other than her layer food. Thank you for your suggestions. It's nice being able to get answers and idea here.

I'm sorry about your hen. Virkon S disinfectant will kill everything viral, fungal, and bacterial in the yard. Remove all feeders and waterers and scunge in the yard. If you have grass in the run mow it down short. Spray the hell out of it if you are concerned about bad microorganisms in the yard. Just follow directions on the label regarding your chickens setting foot back in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom