Cocci??

ukchickengirl

Songster
12 Years
Sep 5, 2007
Toowoomba, QLD
One of the chicks I hatched out (13 weeks old now) is pooing clear/white with lumps of pinkish red stuff in it - is this signs of cocci??

She is ruffled and doesnt seem very happy and I gather this is a sign as well??

Anything I can do? Its just her and what I think is a roo with her in a seperate run from the other girls/

Thanks

H
sad.png

I would say it is a "sign" of cocci, but you won't know for sure unless you get a fecal test done at a vet. There could very well be something else going on.

I felt your 2nd comment was rather rude. Maybe those 10 people weren't sure based on the symptoms and felt it would be inappropriate to respond without an offer to help. Sometimes it's nicer to be patient and someone will come along who is knowledgeable to provide assistance.

Jody

It could be a sign of cocci but that said, could be a lot of other things. Some cocci strains don't produce blood in the poo either. A fecal float is the most certain way to tell. When one of my bunches got it, I was lucky as it was the strain that produced clear blood in the stools.

Quote:
There is little specific info to go on in your post...did you have them on medicated starter? Is this the first time this has happened? Have they ever been wormed?
Cappillaria will also produce this symptom (an intestinal worm) and the med for this is completely different to the med for cocci. A faecal exam is the best advice I can give you as you need to deifferentiate the two.

Sorry - didnt mean to be rude
hugs.gif

I have since found a local vet that deals in farm animals more so that the average vet so will give them a call in the am to see what their protocal is.

Thanks for your replys

H x

I'm not convinced it is Cocci to be honest, the other birds are not showing signs or symptoms

Even feeding medicated feed doesn't guarantee that they won't get cocci, it only helps them to build up a resistance to any strains that may be in the flock already that the others have built up an immunity to

Isolate the birds for starters just in case its catchy, fecal sample to the vet and check that the crop is emptying after eating

Bit young to have worms just yet..

I'm glad to hear you found a local vet. Please keep us posted on how she is doing and what they find out. It is education for all of us. I hope all turns out ok.
hugs.gif

Jody

Back
Top Bottom