Coccidia treament

redpandakitty

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2023
North Carolina
I got 5 chicks from a local breeder two weeks ago. 2 died less than a week after I got them, on the same day. I contacted the breeder to let her know and she replaced my deceased chicks and gave me an extra. I picked up the new chicks 3 days ago. 1 died about 24 hours later, the other died today. I contacted the breeder again and she said she'd also lost some chicks and had received confirmation from a lab that it was coccidia. She gave me some Corid to treat the surviving chicks. My question is, should I medicate the remaining chicks, or get them medicated feed? All of the chicks died suddenly, with no obvious symptoms. Since the margin of error on dosing Corid seems to be pretty narrow, I'm a bit concerned about treating them, especially since I have bantam & standard sized chicks (the dosing is different). Also, she gave me the medicine in a ziploc bag, so I have no idea if it's even in date. The breeder's knowledge about how coccidia is even transmitted was wrong (she though it could be transmitted through the egg), so I'm very leery about following her instructions on how to treat them.

I got 5 chicks from a local breeder two weeks ago. 2 died less than a week after I got them, on the same day. I contacted the breeder to let her know and she replaced my deceased chicks and gave me an extra. I picked up the new chicks 3 days ago. 1 died about 24 hours later, the other died today. I contacted the breeder again and she said she'd also lost some chicks and had received confirmation from a lab that it was coccidia. She gave me some Corid to treat the surviving chicks. My question is, should I medicate the remaining chicks, or get them medicated feed? All of the chicks died suddenly, with no obvious symptoms. Since the margin of error on dosing Corid seems to be pretty narrow, I'm a bit concerned about treating them, especially since I have bantam & standard sized chicks (the dosing is different). Also, she gave me the medicine in a ziploc bag, so I have no idea if it's even in date. The breeder's knowledge about how coccidia is even transmitted was wrong (she though it could be transmitted through the egg), so I'm very leery about following her instructions on how to treat them.
The dosing
Yes, that's what I meant, sorry. Do you know what she was feeding them?
I do not. Where did you get your dosing from? The information I found is only 1 tsp per 5 gallons for chicks.

I do not. Where did you get your dosing from? The information I found is only 1 tsp per 5 gallons for chicks.
Where did you read 1 teaspoon for gallon? That is no where near enough.
Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed  - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed The Correct Amprolium Dose Treatment 20% Powder 9.6% Liquid For 3-5 days 1.5 teaspoons per gallon 2 teaspoons per gallon then for 7-14 days 1/3 teaspoon per gallon 1/2 teaspoon per gallon When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I...

Where did you read 1 teaspoon for gallon? That is no where near enough.
Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed  - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed The Correct Amprolium Dose Treatment 20% Powder 9.6% Liquid For 3-5 days 1.5 teaspoons per gallon 2 teaspoons per gallon then for 7-14 days 1/3 teaspoon per gallon 1/2 teaspoon per gallon When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I...
corid-doses-for-chickens-table-1024x707.png

I hadn't seen info for a poultry specific product, only Corid, so thank you. For the time being I've had to just get medicated feed since the stores in my area only had Corid, and they were all expired. I'll definitely order some of the liquid online for future use though.

Back
Top Bottom