Coccidia

mj0

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
SE Ohio
So. I've lost 7 chicks so far, treated 5 days of corid, that didn't seem to work they were still dying, started the on medicated feed about 9 ish days ago, and today I found bloody poop and a puffed up chick. I gave her some drops of corid directly to the beak.... I just cleaned everything yesterday and all seemed fine.... how can I get past this??

I did the 10 ml per gallon for 5 days. Then went to vitamin water for 4 days then medicated feed. Gave a few drops to beak to sick chick today, she is a little over 3 weeks old.

I did the 10 ml per gallon for 5 days. Then went to vitamin water for 4 days then medicated feed. Gave a few drops to beak to sick chick today, she is a little over 3 weeks old.
I would continue the direct dose, but if she doesn't improve, you may need a sulfa drug or it's something other than coccidiosis.

So. I've lost 7 chicks so far, treated 5 days of corid, that didn't seem to work they were still dying, started the on medicated feed about 9 ish days ago, and today I found bloody poop and a puffed up chick. I gave her some drops of corid directly to the beak.... I just cleaned everything yesterday and all seemed fine.... how can I get past this??

Photos of the chicks, housing and poop - Please? Thanks!

If you are still seeing bloody poop after treatment with Corid, then you need to use a Sulfa Antibiotic or Toltrazuril.

In the meantime, do continue with the Corid, make sure the chicks are drinking it. Do not add any Extra supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to the water or feed during the course of treatment with Corid.

For the worst one, direct oral dose her with undiluted Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight twice a day for 3 days. This is In Addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water. If she's not drinking the mixed water on her own, then syringe that into her several times a day.

If you are still seeing bloody poop after treatment with Corid, then you need to use a Sulfa Antibiotic or Toltrazuril.

In the meantime, do continue with the Corid, make sure the chicks are drinking it. Do not add any Extra supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to the water or feed during the course of treatment with Corid.

For the worst one, direct oral dose her with undiluted Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight twice a day for 3 days. This is In Addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water. If she's not drinking the mixed water on her own, then syringe that into her several times a day.
Are either of the recommendations better than the other?

Are either of the recommendations better than the other? We lost the one I referred to in the original post. Now have a 2nd one same symptoms. They are now on medicated feed. Have been for about 10 days. Spoke to our vet (who isn't an avian vet) but he recommends moving them somewhere chickens haven't been before. I was just going to steam clean and the use the ammonia to sanitize. What we use for the brooder( which is pictured after I have moved them outside today until I can figure out the next plan of action.

Attachments

• 20230918_131020.jpg
    20230918_131020.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230918_131227.jpg
    20230918_131227.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230918_131235.jpg
    20230918_131235.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 6
Either one will be effective, but the Sulfa antibiotic may be a better choice since it will also treat secondary infections.

I'm sorry you lost another. Hopefully the medications will help the others.

Either one will be effective, but the Sulfa antibiotic may be a better choice since it will also treat secondary infections.

I'm sorry you lost another. Hopefully the medications will help the others.
I got the sulfa antibiotic, do I follow directions, or should I do something different for the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom