Did you have chicks die when you vaccinated against Coccidia?

• No, I had them vaccinated, but no significant losses.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had hatchery chicks die, but they were not vaccinated against Coccidia.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tshirtdr1

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 5, 2012
I ordered 25 chicks from Murray. I ordered the full vaccine profile (Marek's and Coccidia) because I thought, why not? I received 25 live and healthy, but chilled, chicks. 2 days later, one previously healthy one started to fade. He had "pasty butt" and I thought, "Oh, no, coccidia!" I ran to the store to get some Corid. Then I came home and realized they had been vaccinated against coccidia??? I thought, "Must be an anomaly. I'll just wait." The next day, another was fading and watery stools everywhere. I started administering the Corid. Then I read up on it, and found that a Coccidia "vaccine" is an administration of the LIVE UNATTENUATED parasite! Well, my chicks are up hopping today, with continued administration of the coccidiostat, so this is not a Murray hatchery problem, except that they should not offer this "service." Please do not vaccinate your chicks against Coccidia from any hatchery.

A couple years ago I also ordered 25 chicks from Murray and had them vaccinated, almost half of the chicks died. It was very disappointing to have chicks die from something that was supposed to prevent sickness.

I ordered 25 chicks from Murray. I ordered the full vaccine profile (Marek's and Coccidia) because I thought, why not? I received 25 live and healthy, but chilled, chicks. 2 days later, one previously healthy one started to fade. He had "pasty butt" and I thought, "Oh, no, coccidia!" I ran to the store to get some Corid. Then I came home and realized they had been vaccinated against coccidia??? I thought, "Must be an anomaly. I'll just wait." The next day, another was fading and watery stools everywhere. I started administering the Corid. Then I read up on it, and found that a Coccidia "vaccine" is an administration of the LIVE UNATTENUATED parasite! Well, my chicks are up hopping today, with continued administration of the coccidiostat, so this is not a Murray hatchery problem, except that they should not offer this "service." Please do not vaccinate your chicks against Coccidia from any hatchery.

I'm new to chickens and am confused.
Are we suppose to wait until we see signs naturally getting it then treat cocid?

I'm new to chickens and am confused.
Are we suppose to wait until we see signs naturally getting it then treat cocid?
No, I am suggesting that you do not have your chicks vaccinated for it. I think the vaccine made my chicks sick. In order to avoid this, you can also use a medicated feed.

Back
Top Bottom