Coccidia what to expect

CharlotteBEe

Chirping
Jun 26, 2023
My oldest chick has coccidia... I suspected for a few weeks as she had diarrhea on and off but never blood. Last night she had blood and yesterday she was very still and slept instead of eating.

Today I gave corrid and have been giving her water and food with a syringe. She has been with me on the heating pad getting food and water/corrid throughout the day. She peck edonce at the food. And is making some noise when I move her. I've been watching her poop and it still has blood.

This is the first time of treating a chick with coccidia... I thought she'd rebound a lot faster than she is (first bloody stool was a little over 24 hours ago).

I've read other threads ... where some give a drop of corrid without diluting it for severe cases... not sure if I have a severe case tho.

What can I expect ?

Because she's just sleeping (eats what I syringe in her beak... and is drinking the drops from the syringe) would you consider her a severe case... should I give her undiluted corrid ?

Last edited:
Yes if she's lethargic it's best to be more aggressive with treatment. It's very hard to overdose on Corid so it will do no harm to give her a few drops undiluted. It may take her a few days to start showing signs of improvement.

Make sure to finish the entire course of treatment as shown on this article, even after she shows improvement: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Any remaining hatchmates should be treated as well, with Corid water being their only water option. No additional vitamins should be offered or mixed in with the water.

My oldest chick has coccidia... I suspected for a few weeks as she had diarrhea on and off but never blood. Last night she had blood and yesterday she was very still and slept instead of eating.

Today I gave corrid and have giving her water and food with a syringe. She has been with me on the heating pad getting food and water/corrid throughout the day. She peck once at the food. And is making some noise when I move her. I've been watching her poop and it still has blood.

This is the first time of treating a chick with coccidia... I thought she'd rebound a lot faster than she is (first bloody stool was a little over 24 hours ago).

I've read other threads ... where some give a drop of corrid without diluting it for severe cases... not sure if I have a severe case tho.

What can I expect ?

Because she's just sleeping (eats what I syringe in her beak... and is drinking the drops from the syringe) would you consider here a severe case... should I give her undiluted corrid ?
Is she with other chicks? If so, I would give treat them all just to be safe. For the sick one, be sure to give her prebiotics... that's what saved my legbar chick a few months back- it was the Dr's suggestion

I would definitely consider the corid "drench" dosage if your chick isn't improving. It saved my little chick's life! It sounds like your girl's system is overwhelmed by the cocci. When my chick was sick, it took days for her to bounce back, probably almost a week before she seemed to have energy again.

Do you have a vet near you that you could call? Sometimes they will give you advice over the phone about dosage/etc.

Here's a good article about the correct corid "drench" dosage--
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

Be super careful about double checking the dosage. It is so, so small for a little chick. I majorly screwed the dosage up with my chick because it was late at night and I was exhausted and trying everything to help her get better. She survived the accidental overdose, but it was very scary.

Yes if she's lethargic it's best to be more aggressive with treatment. It's very hard to overdose on Corid so it will do no harm to give her a few drops undiluted. It may take her a few days to start showing signs of improvement.

Make sure to finish the entire course of treatment as shown on this article, even after she shows improvement: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Any remaining hatchmates should be treated as well, with Corid water being their only water option. No additional vitamins should be offered or mixed in with the water.
Thank you, I'll give her a little undiluted. When should i see her to start rebounding ? Is this suppose to be a slow recovery?

Other chicks are being treated but none show any symptoms.

Thank you, I'll give her a little undiluted. When should i see her to start rebounding ? Is this suppose to be a slow recovery?

Other chicks are being treated but none show any symptoms.
2-3 days perhaps. I've only dealt with it once thankfully but the first 48 hours are probably the hardest. Really you just need to get her to the point where she can eat and drink on her own, and then she should be able to recover from there.

Thank you for the advice! I'll add probiotics to her food.
If you can get some bovine probation syringes, 3mL is safe. Our chicken vet said those work best as they have several different types of prebiotic. I hope your chick gets better soon. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom