Pennys Mama

🦃Jake~Jake's 👩🏽‍⚕️Nurse & 🐣Hatchaholic
Oct 12, 2019
LeFlore County, Oklahoma
My poor Foghorn has really been through it. He was really lethargic yesterday, I could pick him up even & hold him in my lap. He'd falling asleep when all else was action action action. I've not been able to identify his particular poo. But there has been an increase in icky diarrhea the last few days. He feels like he's lost some weight, and isn't chasing the ladies as much as usual. No respiratory issues, no sneezing, coughing or wheezing, no runny or bubbly eyes. He does do a "gaping" type thing but has done that ever since his injury to his face/ear. I don't know who's poo is whose until I happen to witness one. He's still eating & drinking but definitely less rambunctious in all activities. He is still hanging with the same crew & keeping up his normal roosting habits. Should I just treat him for coccidia or does anyone have any thoughts on what else it can be?
20191220_151831.jpg
20191220_151645.jpg
20191220_151709.jpg
20191220_151737.jpg
20191221_114138.jpg
20191221_114203.jpg
20191221_113957.jpg

Can you get some droppings checked for coccidia and worms on Monday? How does his crop feel? How old is he? Is he eating and drinking? What was his injury? If you already have Corid, it would not hurt to start it. Do you have any dewormers, such as Safeguard or Valbazen?

He's just reached 5 to 6 months. His crop felt "deflated" feeling midday yesterday, not full & soft like the rest of the birds, I didn't check it tonight when I passed by him on the roost though:he. He is eating & drinking. I started Corid last night, I put it out fresh so they could all get right to it first thing this morning, and put more fresh out midday. I have some Safeguard for goats on hand. He was attacked by the dogs when he was just a little "pullet", his left ear hole is scar/sealed over, but it looks like his ear feather tufts have ingrown into his earlobe flap.... I think you can see the protrusion in the photo. Here's another one from a month or so back, it seems like the protrusion is getting bigger to me. Could it have formed some sort of abscess in there making him sick? The vet isn't an option but I'm more than willing to attempt an incision & drainage. And :celebrateyes, I can take some poo to the vet Monday.
20191115_200619.jpg
20191115_202057.jpg

Attachments

• 20190908_162634.jpg
    20190908_162634.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190908_162641.jpg
    20190908_162641.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 5
Infection is possible, but it won't be runny like human pus; instead it will be more solid, cheesy. Once you've (re)opened the wound, you'll need to express the infection as you would a boil or blackhead, by using gentle pressure to squeeze it out of him. It won't come out simply because you've opened it up. Head wounds bleed a lot so don't be overly alarmed when you lance that pustule open. He's likely to wiggle a lot too. Do you have someone to help you with this? An extra pair of hands would sure be helpful for this surgery. Wrapping him semi-tightly in a clean, old towel can help to maintain control of him and absorb blood drops. I imagine he's got one heck of an earache looking at all of that swelling. You can offer him aspirin AFTER surgery and AFTER he's quit bleeding. Dosage is one BABY aspirin (81mg) twice daily. Just open his beak and stuff it into the back of his mouth. Bleeding can be stopped with styptic powder, available at your feed store, or sometimes at your local pharmacy (men's shaving supplies comes to mind). Treating for coccidia is an excellent idea as well, as the parasite is opportunistic, 'kicking' their host when they're down, so to speak.

Infection is possible, but it won't be runny like human pus; instead it will be more solid, cheesy. Once you've (re)opened the wound, you'll need to express the infection as you would a boil or blackhead, by using gentle pressure to squeeze it out of him. It won't come out simply because you've opened it up. Head wounds bleed a lot so don't be overly alarmed when you lance that pustule open. He's likely to wiggle a lot too. Do you have someone to help you with this? An extra pair of hands would sure be helpful for this surgery. Wrapping him semi-tightly in a clean, old towel can help to maintain control of him and absorb blood drops. I imagine he's got one heck of an earache looking at all of that swelling. You can offer him aspirin AFTER surgery and AFTER he's quit bleeding. Dosage is one BABY aspirin (81mg) twice daily. Just open his beak and stuff it into the back of his mouth. Bleeding can be stopped with styptic powder, available at your feed store, or sometimes at your local pharmacy (men's shaving supplies comes to mind). Treating for coccidia is an excellent idea as well, as the parasite is opportunistic, 'kicking' their host when they're down, so to speak.
:oldYeah, I can get an extra set of hands.
:loveI like the wrapping him up like a papoose idea too.
:flShouldn't be any harder than starting an IV on a toddler, right?!:gig
:highfive: I've got a list of needed supplies now. Thanks.

I'm treating two of my flocks for Coccidiosis too. The banties are in the clear since their coop is in closed, & protected from infected birds unlike my other two coops that have open runs.
Only the two open coops have the bloody poo going on, while the Banties are not.

I'm treating two of my flocks for Coccidiosis too. The banties are in the clear since their coop is in closed, & protected from infected birds unlike my other two coops that have open runs.
Only the two open coops have the bloody poo going on, while the Banties are not.
My gamebird flocks are housed separately, so I'm keeping :fl that they are in the clear as well!:pop

Back
Top Bottom