Coccidiosis??? Bloody stools in brooder today!

WasabiChicki

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Northern California
I have 35 chicks @ aprox. 6 weeks old... all are very active, eat, drink & enjoy the great outdoors daily. However,
Due to the unfinished coop, they are still sleeping in the kiddy pool brooder (at night only) that I haven't cleaned out this week.
Yesterday there was one stool outside the brooder w/ blood in it, and this morning I see numerous stools that are completely bloody inside & outside. They are all out now, running around & playing, except for two that aren't as thrifty.

Is this Coccidiosis? Is it too late to fix? Do I get anything besides medicated feed to try to correct this??? Feed store is closed today... panicking a little!!
Help PLEASE
fl.gif

I have them all in the garden while I clean the pool: Should I just be using soapy water or something stronger?? ACV in their drinking water, plus goldenseal... One leghorn looks like she is dying now, three more not moving,
sad.png

The first thing...always clean with bleach! Allow the brooder to dry, or dry it, before putting fresh bedding back in. Corid is the medication that you need. It can be found at Tractor Supply or most other feed stores. You put it into their water. If you don't have access to the meds, the only thing you can do is try and see if they will eat some yogurt..vitamins/electrolytes in the water. Hopefully, with the soothing effects of the yogurt and the vitamins, they will make it until you can get the meds. Even if you lose the sickest, make sure to medicate everyone else.

Now, back to cleaning. Some say that only ammonia kills coccidia. I have never had any problem using bleach. But, if you have ammonia on hand...even if it's in window cleaner, use that just to make sure.

Thank you all so much... I am worried that it could be something else?? No symptoms one day, bloody stools & dead baby the next... is there anything else I should be worried about or is this pretty much a sure case of Coccidiosis??

You may have missed the subtle early signs. Definitely sounds like Coccidiosis. Get the Corid, treat...you will be amazed how rapidly they bounce back. Don't be tempted to stop early..I would treat for a full 7 days.

I agree with leadwolf1, and make sure you have finished up the vitamins when you put them on Corid. You don't want to give vitamins and Corid at the same time.

Corid should give improvement within 24 hours from my experience. I have had to a couple of times do the 5 day treatment twice when the bloody poo came back after a few days. You can treat for 5-7 days.

I only use bleach, too. I have heard ammonia is what's needed to kill cocci, but I just don't use it.

Last edited:
I freaked out about the brooder & won't even put them back in... The coop is temporarily buttoned up (there is chicken wire & corrugated plastic where a half wall hasn't been finished)
So I put them all in the "palace" last night w/ medicated feed.
*Should I worry about cleaning it & scrubbing the floor that is becoming covered w/ poo?
(I am throwing fresh sawdust on top, planning on doing a DL in there like I do in the smaller coop.)

Had to keep one RIR separated today but she was ready to rejoin the flock before bedtime: she hopped out of her box & ran to her friends as soon as my husband opened the door lol.
The only other less thrifty chick is an Acona who I didn't separate. I haven't seen her eat or drink but she was in different places today in the coop, just watching the others.

So, I am only doing the medicated feed & ACV in their water; no yogurt but should I stop the vinegar too?
The coop is warm & dry, but will start to heat up w/ the DL... Should I plan on doing a thorough cleaning in a few days & remove all the sawdust, scrub floor & what not??

Here's a pic of The Palace this morning when I went to hang w/ them... They love the space & I'm sure they can't wait to get into their new giant yard!

Back
Top Bottom