Coccidiosis conundrum

Glad to hear the chickens are improving. Corid is not really a med. It's a vitamin B-1 blocker. As far as I know, all strains of coccidia feed on thiamine so Corid should be effective.

Different strains of coccidia can, however, produce different symptoms. Some cause inflammation of the intestinal lining producing bleeding while other strains do not. Also, the sheer numbers of coccidia in the intestines can produce harsher symptoms or less according to the load.

If I were in your situation, I would try ordering this med. https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/ I haven't heard that Ohio is a state that prohibits online pharmacies from shipping to the customer. Give it a try and see what happens. This med is both an antibiotic and coccidiostat in one, specially for tough cases.

It's not good advice. Blood in the stools, especially when it's been confirmed that the chickens have coccidiosis, is an indication that the intestines are being inflamed by the coccidia, causing bacteria to grow into a condition called enteritis. It can be very serious.

Get the vet to write a prescription for this. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r Or order it yourself . It's just that no time should be wasted waiting for it to come in the mail. It can be mixed into the drinking water.

The usual treatment with Corid is for five days, a week off, then five more days. You can mix the Corid with the sulfa.
Hello, seems as tho I am in the same situation as OP. With the sulfa, should I use it on everyone even tho they are not displaying symptoms? I have one bird who is pushing out bloody mucus separated but I keep finding the same droppings and no clue who its from. Mine have been on CORID 5 days now but only proper dosing for 2 days (my mistake). Is there egg withdrawal with Sulfa? I only have 1 egg layer right now out of 10 hens so it wont hurt too much. Thanks!

Yes, sulfa for the entire flock along with the coccidiostat. That what any chickens that are in early stages of enteritis will be taken care of before the bacteria gets so far as to causing alarming symptoms.

Yes, sulfa for the entire flock along with the coccidiostat. That what any chickens that are in early stages of enteritis will be taken care of before the bacteria gets so far as to causing alarming symptoms.
Thank you, I have ordered the TRIMETHOPRIN SULFA from Jedds. Hopefully it will help kick whatever is going on. what type of egg withdrawal would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom