Coccidiosis? returning?

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616
interesting info on coccidiosis

I've never personally ever given any corrid or meds for coccidiosis, except for 5 to 7 days....
For me that's what always worked...
Now that you've said most do it for a much longer period.... is new to me.... but hey whatever works... =)
I didn't know that...and thanks for informing me.... =)

I haven't had a problem with coccidiosis in many years....
I don't know if this would work for others.... I change water several times a day and put waterer
up on a brick... helped to keep area below dry.
I also made pads for the pen... instead of using chips... and changed them out once a day or as
they got dirty or they got wet......
My chicks are raised indoors.... and slowly taken outside for a few minutes a day,
then longer periods of time... until they were feathered for the outdoors...
Hope all your chicks get well again... =)
Those are all great tips. If you haven't had any cocci in a long time, your routine sound like a winner!

I'm a little on the opposite end of raising chicks, exposure at an early age but feeding medicated chick starter,(feed has a very small amount of amprol) they have to have exposure to droppings/dirt to start building resistance. Never have vaccinated for cocci, but reading up on that, you have to let them have exposure to droppings in order for them to build a resistance. Keeping bedding and areas around water stations dry of course is a must. I also give them to dirt from different areas they will be exposed to (cocci is everywhere) within the first week, putting it in a dish pan, they will eat some but use it to dust bathe (who doesn't love to see tiny chicks taking a dust bath
smile.png
)

We have little mesh pens outside we put them in....(so the hawks can't get them..!)
So they are exposed to cocci, and the pens are moveable...=)
I think its the wetness that opens the cells or shells and releases the cocci...?

Oh well...its a terrible thing to deal with, especially when chicks die... =(

Yes I was keeping things clean and the reason I kept them on Corid: as I approached the 5th day I saw another bloody poop ( well only slightly red so I thought they were still infected)so I incorrectly thought I should continue treatment. Then another 5 days later saw another similar poop. It's sometimes tough being a first time chicken owner!
The FDA and mfg say this:
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

20% Powder
0.024% = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon
0.012% = 3/4 teaspoons per gallon
0.006% = 1/3 teaspoon per gallon

9.6% Liquid
0.024% = 2 teaspoons per gallon
0.012% = 1 teaspoons per gallon
0.006% = 1/2 teaspoon per gallon

-Kathy

We had the same experience... couple day old dying chicks, thought it was coccidia. Meat birds had "bloody" poop. Found out that it was intestinal lining. Be careful... a LOT of people on here will tell you its coccidia. Do research, and don't get freaked out :p

We had the same experience... couple day old dying chicks, thought it was coccidia. Meat birds had "bloody" poop. Found out that it was intestinal lining. Be careful... a LOT of people on here will tell you its coccidia. Do research, and don't get freaked out :p

What did your chicks die from? As for this "intestinal lining" being normal, I can assure you that if you are seeing them daily that it is NOT normal.

-Kathy

first off... my egg laying chicks were shipped in the MAIL. so, 3 out of 28 chicks died from shipping stress. i also add that these were the smallest ones.

second, out of 50 meat birds (cornish cross and freedom rangers) we had 4 die... one was squished, one was carried away by a predator (found body), and two were found randomly dead. we cut into one and found it normal... the other one we don't know how it died. ALL my chickens spend/spent ALL day long outside, free range. none were lethargic, all very happy and healthy and fed non gmo, tested for pesticides feed. and between 50 birds... you would see shed intestinal lining quite often, don't you think?

One thing to note is that you never rid yourself of cocci, it's for all intents everywhere, the Amprolium (Corid) just slows down it's reproductive cycle giving the birds own immunity a hand at catching up, Amprolium doesn't kill off the cocci or rid you of it, it's still there just in lower numbers...

As for overdosing on Amprolium by giving it too long or for extended periods of time pretty much next to impossible at the preventative dosage rate and even higher, it's just a Thiamin blocker...

It's common for people to feed Amprolium medicated feed to chickens for 6 months or even longer, so a few weeks or even a month of a preventative dosage in the water is for all intents insignificant in the grand picture...

first off... my egg laying chicks were shipped in the MAIL. so, 3 out of 28 chicks died from shipping stress. i also add that these were the smallest ones.

second, out of 50 meat birds (cornish cross and freedom rangers) we had 4 die... one was squished, one was carried away by a predator (found body), and two were found randomly dead. we cut into one and found it normal... the other one we don't know how it died. ALL my chickens spend/spent ALL day long outside, free range. none were lethargic, all very happy and healthy and fed non gmo, tested for pesticides feed. and between 50 birds... you would see shed intestinal lining quite often, don't you think?
I have way more than 50, and I almost never see intestinal lining. As for your necropsy, unless you're quite experienced in doing necropsies, it's very easy to miss things. For example, did you dissect the intestines? Trachea? Did you have any tests done? Looking "normal" doesn't mean there wasn't a disease.

-Kathy

Yes, we did diccect the intestines... my mother was a pre med student!
I'm not trying to argue... i just don't like when certain people try to scare other people :(

Back
Top Bottom