Coccidiosis time frame

Jo Bird

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
Would yellow poop for a month from a chicken be coccidiosis? I didn’t pay any attention as my birds have all different colors of poop until I came across to post showing yellow poop being possibly coccidiosis. I know which bird it is because she has a little bit of dried yellow “skid marks” on her butt feathers, but it’s been close to a month that I have seen this on the coop floor and in the run and she’s never had other symptoms of being sick so I was wondering if that’s what it really was? The picture is where she pooped on the corn and sunflower seeds that were sprinkled on the stones

Attachments

• 01DD60C4-1CB6-4916-9AE2-6286EB8039DD.jpeg
    01DD60C4-1CB6-4916-9AE2-6286EB8039DD.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 5

Jo Bird

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
Is she acting unusual? Any puffing up? Is she eating and drinking?

@Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock
Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary that I have observed. She is always right there with the rest of the group to come for treats or bowls of water, (which they all think is something special for some reason). She is about 10 months old now, Easter Egger, hasn’t laid yet, and has always been on the small side- like 2 1/2pounds-but has never presented with any unusual symptoms of illness

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
You wouldn't believe the wide range of poop color and consistency I see every day while scooping poop from my flock of 22. Unless a chicken is behaving suspect, poop variations aren't something to be overly concerned about. Behavior is your first and most important indicator of chicken health and well being. Poop can be diagnostic, but in isolation from behavior, it's merely poop.

Jo Bird

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
You wouldn't believe the wide range of poop color and consistency I see every day while scooping poop from my flock of 22. Unless a chicken is behaving suspect, poop variations aren't something to be overly concerned about. Behavior is your first and most important indicator of chicken health and well being. Poop can be diagnostic, but in isolation from behavior, it's merely poop.
Guess it was coccidiosis, she died tonight. I will definitely be more diligent next time I see a strange colored poop even if everyone’s acting normally.

Jo Bird

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
I'm sorry. If you believe coccidiosis killed the hen, you would be wise to treat the entire flock with Corid.
I’ve been putting it in their water. today will be four days. Most likely because she was the tiniest, about 2 pounds, is why it took her down and others are not presenting with yellow poop. So far.... she was the only one that did not pick on her clutch mate sister. I may end up with that one being a house chicken now!

Top Bottom