Coccidiosis treatment questions

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! A few of you must have seen my threads about keeping two Cornish X as pets. I have picked them out and they are such sweeties! They love to follow me around, and be pet, but recently Doodle has been acting off. She stands Puffed up during the day, not as active, seems pale, and has a loss of appetite. I knew something was wrong when she wasn't super interested in food, so I asked on my main thread. A few people suggested treating for Cocci, so I'm getting Corid powder tomorrow for their water.
A few questions, how long do I treat for it? How long will a 10oz bag of powder last if 15 Cornish X are being treated, and I am using a 5 gallon waterer? I'm assuming the bag will be pretty self explanatory as to how much per gallon of water, but if you have any additional tips please let me know. Thank you!

How long it lasts depends on how much they drink a day and how much you make at a time. You are supposed to make a fresh batch per day so I don't make much more than they can drink per day to save my medicine.

Do you see intestinal shed or blood in the poop?

Here is the dose and time given. The bird should start improving after a few days of treatment if it were coccidiosis.

How long it lasts depends on how much they drink a day and how much you make at a time. You are supposed to make a fresh batch per day so I don't make much more than they can drink per day to save my medicine.

Do you see intestinal shed or blood in the poop?

Here is the dose and time given. The bird should start improving after a few days of treatment if it were coccidiosis.
I saw a poop last week that may have been bloody, and saw another one today I think was bloody as well.
Thanks for the info!

I have Cocci bad. I just came out to find a chick huddling fluffed up in the corner passing super bloody droppings. Her whole back side is covered in blood. I saw the power dosage on @casportpony's thread, is that the same for the liquid? The liquid was all they had. I'm assuming the amounts at the top are per gallon of water? Or is that 5 gallons? I need to treat her fast, suggestions?

Liquid Corid 9.6% dose is 2 teaspoons (or 9.5ml) per gallon of water.
Powder Corid 20% dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water.
Treat for 5 -7 days, only water they have access to.
You can also give the liquid in an oral dose, to help get the meds in them quicker. I would do that with any that are showing symptoms. Dosing for that is here(you can give the oral dose in addition to the medicated water):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Liquid Corid 9.6% dose is 2 teaspoons (or 9.5ml) per gallon of water.
Powder Corid 20% dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water.
Treat for 5 -7 days, only water they have access to.
You can also give the liquid in an oral dose, to help get the meds in them quicker. I would do that with any that are showing symptoms. Dosing for that is here(you can give the oral dose in addition to the medicated water):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Thank you so much! I just found the 2 teaspoons dose in another one of @casportpony's threads, so just filled a 1 gallon waterer, and added to teaspoons of liquid. I will definitliy do the oral dose as well. Thank you!

Darn, I don't have an accurate way to weight her though. I don't have a food scale even thought I keep meaning to get one. She's so light it won't show if I weight myself then grab her and weight again. She's a 4 month old Cornish X, any ideas on oral dosage?

Alright, she's drinking the water I gave her, so thats good. She's in really bad shape, its crazy who fast this thing gets bad. She was fine yesterday, or at least I didn't notice any odd behavior. Or maybe I did, but just didn't think much of it.

Corid is really safe, if you give a bit too much it's very unlikely to do any harm. Since it's .1ml per pound of weight, I would just give it your best estimate. I'm not sure how much a 4 mo. old cornish would weigh, I don't raise them. But as said, it's really safe so I wouldn't worry too much. You can do the oral dose for up to 3 days, they should start feeling better by then. Also, don't do any vitamin supplements during treatment as it could reduce the effectiveness of the meds. Some strains are more virulent than others, so in some cases they can get very sick, very fast. Recovery depends on the strain and how much damage is done to the intestinal tract. If needed (if recovery seems slow) you can treat for a second week at a dose of 1/2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water.
Also, I would treat all of them that were kept together, they've all been exposed and it's easier to treat them all at the same time, rather than one today, one tomorrow, etc. if more start to show symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom