Coccidiosis VIDEO Worth Watching

Decided to pull out my still new sealed bottle of Corid (that I bought who knows how long ago) to see if it was still good. The Lot Number and Expiration Date area on the label are completely empty. Pristine white rectangle with no data in it. Haha. I was cursing for a second until I noticed the lid/cap has a lot number and expiration printed on it. Why can't they follow their own label design? Guess the printing machine must have changed before they ran out of labels/stickers....

anybody ever heard of this old time treatment?

Treatment.-When an outbreak of coccidiosis starts, even in a few
birds, or even if it is suspected. get busy. Do not wait even to have the
disease definitely diagnosed as coccidosis. While waiting for a diagnosis
very often the outbreak can be stopped. Kill and burn the few affected
chicks. They will die anyway or become carriers of the disease and seldom
amount to anything. Feed a mash made of 40 per cent dried buttermilk
or dried skim milk. If sufficient liquid milk is available so that it can be
left in front of chicks at all times feed this and no water but in addition
feed a dry mash containing 20 per cent of dried milk.
As the droppings are tremendously dangerous to chicks not yet affected
clean the brooder house thoroughly every day. If the chicks have been outside on the ground the latter is contaminated and the brooder house and
chicks should be moved to new ground immediately.
To each gallon of drinking water, or milk, add a teaspoonfull of the
Connecticut enteritis mixture the formula for which is as follows :
Powdered catechu ------------------------- 8 oz.
Sodium phenolsulphonate ------------------- 2 oz.
Calcium phenolsulphonate ------------------ 2 oz.
Zinc sulphate ------------------------------ 4 oz.
Large drug stores will have these drugs on hand and can make up the
mixture in a short time. In some cases however, two of the ingredients
will not be available so it would be well to have the mixture ordered in
advance, particularly if trouble has been had with coccidiosis in previous
years. Any druggist can obtain the ingredients from wholesale druggists
in a short time but in most cases the mixture is wanted immediately.
Feed this treated water or milk and the buttermilk mash for three days
only. Feed the regular mash and grain for the next three days and then
repeat the eneritis powder and milk for another three days. This system
is not a guaranteed cure for coccidiosis but it is the best treatment known
at present. It will help a great deal in stopping the spread of the disease
and in aiding in the recovery of chicks not too seriously affected.

https://openprairie.sdstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1013&context=agexperimentsta_circ

Interesting. Wonder how much of the success is due to chickens not processing dairy well and most likely crapping their guts out. Like a firehose. Flush out those little buggers!

Both the versions of phenolsulfonates are there to kill. Don't know how effective they would be on coccidia since the charts we usually see posted show how ineffective almost everything is against coccidia.

Phenolsulfonate uses and applications include: Antimicrobial, deodorant agent in cosmetics; medicine (intestinal antiseptic, in dusting powders for ulcers, slowly granulating wounds, and in dil. soln. in the eye).

The zinc appears to be there for the "feel good" effect. From all I have read about Zinc sulphate, it is pretty much a "Raise your zinc if you are deficient, and cause the common cold to not suck as much!" argument.

I think the "Kill and burn the few affected chicks" along with the "clean the brooder house thoroughly every day. If the chicks have been outside on the ground the latter is contaminated and the brooder house and chicks should be moved to new ground immediately." portions are what are actually helping.

Of course if you literally burn with fire the obviously infected and then also clean out the brooder daily and never let them outside.....you are going to control coccidia pretty effectively.

Last edited:
I just watched this whole video, loads of good info, now I am worried about my girls, I don’t want them to get sick. They appear healthy, came from what I believe to be a good facility, I keep a very clean coop .. would it be prudent tho to use the Corid as a preventative? What is your thoughts on medicated verses non medicated food?

I just watched this whole video, loads of good info, now I am worried about my girls, I don’t want them to get sick. They appear healthy, came from what I believe to be a good facility, I keep a very clean coop .. would it be prudent tho to use the Corid as a preventative? What is your thoughts on medicated verses non medicated food?
First...how old/young are your birds?

Back
Top Bottom