Coccidiosis VIDEO Worth Watching

Fantastic video @KikisGirls, really hits home the point I've been stressing for years...BIOSECURITY, BIOSECURITY, BIOSECURITY!!!!
I have very stringent BIOSECURITY procedures with my operation but I have still had outbreaks of coccidious due to letting the litter get moist and delaying the changing of the litter in a timely manner.

This video also points out an obvious misconception, that most breeders, hobbyist have, that is, " this chick just hatch, how could it have coccidious?" I'm guilty of this myself, if I feed and water my breeding stock, then handle my chicks and/or feed and water them without cleaning properly between the two, I have just introduced it to the chicks.
I hardly ever have had any disease in my flocks in a lifetime of raising birds, because of my BIOSECURITY procedures but just because my birds look healthy and they are, doesn't mean the coccidious spores aren't present. I never really thought about it that way! Opened my eyes!!!
Yep, they mentioned using dry lime bath for stepping into before entering a facility. Lime is extremely alkaline, that's what kills otocysts and helps from spreading it to other facilities.
So it seems the HIGH alkaline things help kill it, I need to learn what things are high alkaline.

I have never even had a case of coccidiosis yet but I would like to know just in case.

Biosecurity for the win!

Fantastic video @KikisGirls, really hits home the point I've been stressing for years...BIOSECURITY, BIOSECURITY, BIOSECURITY!!!!
I have very stringent BIOSECURITY procedures with my operation but I have still had outbreaks of coccidious due to letting the litter get moist and delaying the changing of the litter in a timely manner.

This video also points out an obvious misconception, that most breeders, hobbyist have, that is, " this chick just hatch, how could it have coccidious?" I'm guilty of this myself, if I feed and water my breeding stock, then handle my chicks and/or feed and water them without cleaning properly between the two, I have just introduced it to the chicks.
I hardly ever have had any disease in my flocks in a lifetime of raising birds, because of my BIOSECURITY procedures but just because my birds look healthy and they are, doesn't mean the coccidious spores aren't present. I never really thought about it that way! Opened my eyes!!!
Yep, they mentioned using dry lime bath for stepping into before entering a facility. Lime is extremely alkaline, that's what kills otocysts and helps from spreading it to other facilities.

I am interested in learning more about what he starts talking about at 7:55.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/dupont-biosolve-plus-can.html
http://www.vetoquinol.ca/eng/content/biosolve-plus#tab_section_2

Canada peeps...is this available to the public up there?
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 7.54.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 7.54.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Did he say the dry foot bath was ? Lie or ?Lime

I have turned lime into a smelly run before with a cultivator but had not heard of dry foot baths.

Could this be a yearly thing to treat run area? Or would the lime be dangerous or poisonous to the flock?
I don't remember hearing lime. I'll rewatch now.

Back
Top Bottom