Coccidiosis VIDEO Worth Watching

Fantastic video @KikisGirls, really hits home the point I've been stressing for years...BIOSECURITY, BIOSECURITY, BIOSECURITY!!!!
I have very stringent BIOSECURITY procedures with my operation but I have still had outbreaks of coccidious due to letting the litter get moist and delaying the changing of the litter in a timely manner.

This video also points out an obvious misconception, that most breeders, hobbyist have, that is, " this chick just hatch, how could it have coccidious?" I'm guilty of this myself, if I feed and water my breeding stock, then handle my chicks and/or feed and water them without cleaning properly between the two, I have just introduced it to the chicks.
I hardly ever have had any disease in my flocks in a lifetime of raising birds, because of my BIOSECURITY procedures but just because my birds look healthy and they are, doesn't mean the coccidious spores aren't present. I never really thought about it that way! Opened my eyes!!!
Yep, they mentioned using dry lime bath for stepping into before entering a facility. Lime is extremely alkaline, that's what kills otocysts and helps from spreading it to other facilities.

Fantastic video @KikisGirls, really hits home the point I've been stressing for years...BIOSECURITY, BIOSECURITY, BIOSECURITY!!!!
I have very stringent BIOSECURITY procedures with my operation but I have still had outbreaks of coccidious due to letting the litter get moist and delaying the changing of the litter in a timely manner.

This video also points out an obvious misconception, that most breeders, hobbyist have, that is, " this chick just hatch, how could it have coccidious?" I'm guilty of this myself, if I feed and water my breeding stock, then handle my chicks and/or feed and water them without cleaning properly between the two, I have just introduced it to the chicks.
I hardly ever have had any disease in my flocks in a lifetime of raising birds, because of my BIOSECURITY procedures but just because my birds look healthy and they are, doesn't mean the coccidious spores aren't present. I never really thought about it that way! Opened my eyes!!!
Yep, they mentioned using dry lime bath for stepping into before entering a facility. Lime is extremely alkaline, that's what kills otocysts and helps from spreading it to other facilities.
So it seems the HIGH alkaline things help kill it, I need to learn what things are high alkaline.

I have never even had a case of coccidiosis yet but I would like to know just in case.

Biosecurity for the win!

Coccidia doesn't go away easily or quickly so remember that once you have to treat for it you should keep Corid on hand for the next birds.
And I'll add, continue with strict BIOSECURITY PROTOCAL. And a through cleaning regime at scheduled intervals.

Back
Top Bottom