coccidiosis?

lakones

Songster
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Zachary, LA
I have (6) 5 week olds and (10) 2 week olds that spend the day in the same run. This morning I saw a red substance from at least one in each group. coccidiosis or something else?

Both pics appear to contain shed intestinal lining which is normal on occasions. Consistent shed intestinal lining could possibly be a precursor to one of the nine types of cocci that chickens can get. It might be best to go ahead and treat them with Corid.

X2, treat with Corid or Amprol

Corid 20% powder and Amprol 128 powder are the same thing, both are 20% amprolium powder.

The powder doses for poultry are as follows:
  • The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid or Amprol Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
  • The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid or Amprol Powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon.
  • The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder or Amprol Powder is 1/3 teaspoon per gallon.

"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

-Kathy

Last edited:
Corid or Amprol liquid doses:

The liquid doses for poultry are as follows:
  • The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid or Amprol liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon.
  • The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid or Amprol liquid is 1 per teaspoon per gallon.
  • The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid or Amprol liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

I dose at the severe outbreak dose for 5-7 days, then the preventative dose for another 7 days.

-Kathy

Crap! I spoke too soon.
Last night everyone seemed fine, this morning my BLRW baby girl is not doing good. She just wants to sleep and is very wobbly when she tries to walk. I brought her in and gave her corid/water mix a drop at the time on her beak. I hope it's not too late to save her!

Crap! I spoke too soon.
Last night everyone seemed fine, this morning my BLRW baby girl is not doing good. She just wants to sleep and is very wobbly when she tries to walk. I brought her in and gave her corid/water mix a drop at the time on her beak. I hope it's not too late to save her!
Can you put her in a warm room? 80-85 degrees is ideal.

-Kathy

I have her in a box on a heating pad on low with a towel covering it. The box is by a window where the sun is shinning in. Does that sound ok?

Back
Top Bottom