Cocciodisis

Silkielover05

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2018
hey y’all, I put Corid in my chickens water and treated them orally. I was wondering after they had it and we’re treated, could they catch it again? What do I need to do to keep it from spreading again?

How old are your chickens?

Usually chicken will build resistance to the strains of Coccidia found in their environment, so "most" of the time they do not become infected to the point where there's an overload.

However, during times of stress, illness, injury, etc. a chicken can have an overload.

You can't stop them from "spreading it". Coccidiosis is caused by Coccidia which is a protozoa found in soil and in poop. Again, once birds are exposed to the strains they will normally encounter in their environment, they build resistance.

If you've treated them and they have recovered, then call it good if they all seem happy, healthy, active, eating/drinking.

How old are your chickens?

Usually chicken will build resistance to the strains of Coccidia found in their environment, so "most" of the time they do not become infected to the point where there's an overload.

However, during times of stress, illness, injury, etc. a chicken can have an overload.

You can't stop them from "spreading it". Coccidiosis is caused by Coccidia which is a protozoa found in soil and in poop. Again, once birds are exposed to the strains they will normally encounter in their environment, they build resistance.

If you've treated them and they have recovered, then call it good if they all seem happy, healthy, active, eating/drinking.
Thank you! And I have premier 1 fencing around my coops and a chick tractor on the inside of the fence that has 6 week old birds. They are the ones that have coccidiosis

Thank you! And I have premier 1 fencing around my coops and a chick tractor on the inside of the fence that has 6 week old birds. They are the ones that have coccidiosis
So I was wondering about them spreading it to the other ones that stay in the fencing. I treated them also just incase

So I was wondering about them spreading it to the other ones that stay in the fencing. I treated them also just incase
Frequently scooping poop will help prevent it from spreading, but there isnt any guarantee since it's everywhere in the soil. As birds get older, they build immunity against coccidiosis, much like we do with bacteria that is all around us.

There will always be coccidia in their guts, it'll always show up on a microscopic slide. However, if the slide is loaded with coccidia oocysts, then there's a problem.
As long as your birds are eating, drinking, scratching around, squawking... acting like a chicken should, there's nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom