Loosiegoosie

Chirping
Feb 6, 2021
Help! My 2 Pekin females have coccydia. Or so I’ve been told. They have always been separated from my 3 jumbos for fear of they’ll be squished! And the jumbos are fine. But Pato and That Duck contracted this either from a dirty pen…my other half was in charge of them all after I had shoulder replacement surgery in Sept. or eating tainted bird poop dirt outside. This is the 3rd go round of treatment for them because it keeps coming back. I have them
Inside in a doggie playpen layered with ducky(puppy) pads. I change the pooped on ones what seems constantly unless they are outside, weather permitting…they are spoiled rotten and have never slept out over the winter! The first months treatment with Corid went without any issues until the they were done and the bloody poop returned. The second month it returned as soon as they started on the lower dose. In talking to someone at our tractor supply, I was told that they may be getting reinfected from their bowls or dirty pads. I now disinfect their water and food bowls 1-2 times a day and wash with hot
Soapy water.. TS also said to scrub and disinfect with bleach their pen so I do that daily also. I spray it top to bottom with bleach water after I wipe/scrub with bleach water. I also spray the outside bottom of the pen and the floor where it sits. The ducks get baths every day and I try to not leave them In the tub for more than an hour. But sometimes they are floating so peacefully just napping that I leave them in a bit longer. Then I drain the tub with them in it, and turn on the shower to rinse them off. I let them catch drops and stomp and have fun! I let them preen and then they each get a little towel rub and sometimes we hang out on my bed covered with pads, and take naps together. Then they go back into a
Clean pen. I’ve been giving them the 10ml every day thru this treatment of which we are just over half done. Things were perfect until yesterday when there was bloody poop again. What am I doing wrong? Should they just have showers no baths? Should I be giving them another med? Should I use something else besides pads? Thanks in advance for not only reading this but any help anyone may have!

Is a vet an option? this doesn't sound right having bloody poop over and over. And please take what they tell you at TSC with a grain of salt. Most that work there have no idea how to care for poultry.
Using bleach that often can't be good not be good for them or you. White vinegar mixed with water is another way of disinfecting and a lot less hazardous to their health.
Are you going by directions on the bag or container as to how to treat for cocci?
I've never had it here so I am going to tag someone who is more experienced with treating.
@Isaac 0
@casportpony
@Pyxis

Are you adding corid to their drinking water? Is the water the only water they are allowed and is it changed daily? Its probably much harder with ducks, but maybe put it in a bucket where they can only stick their head in and can't splash it out. I wouldn't allow them any bathing water for now.
It shouldn't take too long to clear up with your cleaning ritual.
Are you using the powdered version or liquid?
This is how I treat for coccidiosis and although for chickens, it's the same for ducks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-amprolium-dosage-for-chickens.568628/post-17413279

Have you had them tested? The outbreak might need a different drug prescribed.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/sulfadimethoxine

Is a vet an option? this doesn't sound right having bloody poop over and over. And please take what they tell you at TSC with a grain of salt. Most that work there have no idea how to care for poultry.
Using bleach that often can't be good not be good for them or you. White vinegar mixed with water is another way of disinfecting and a lot less hazardous to their health.
Are you going by directions on the bag or container as to how to treat for cocci?
I've never had it here so I am going to tag someone who is more experienced with treating.
@Isaac 0
@casportpony
@Pyxis

We spoke, and it turns out the ducks were also getting vitamin supplements - which would make the Corid not work. Corid works by blocking thiamine uptake, so giving supplements with thiamine at the same time renders it much less effective. So, no more supplements for now, and hopefully the Corid will do its thing this time.

@Isaac 0
@casportpony
@Pyxis
I was just able to get a hold of a friend who rescues ducks and all kinds of birds. She has as much knowledge as a vet or more because there is only one avian vet 2 1/2 hours north up by Canada🙄 She gave me the correct dosing…less than what TS told me it was, and while TS told me to keep giving them supplements, the rescue friends said no! Since Corid takes thiamine away so cocci can’t reproduce, by adding supplements I’ve actually been giving them Extra thiamine🙄 so that may be why it’s not working. She said to do another treatment with the correct dosing for ducks and see if that works and if not find a vet who will do a fecal for them. She also told me ducks are naturally resistant to coccydia so that may not be the issue at all which is why have a fecal done if the correct dosing and no supplements doesn’t work. I was using tea tree oil and water for their pen. I should never have listened to the bleach theory! I use tea tree oil and vinegar (not together) for all kinds of stuff around the house. I should listen to my gut and know what I was doing was fine. Thank you for your response! I appreciate it.

We spoke, and it turns out the ducks were also getting vitamin supplements - which would make the Corid not work. Corid works by blocking thiamine uptake, so giving supplements with thiamine at the same time renders it much less effective. So, no more supplements for now, and hopefully the Corid will do its thing this time.
Thank you @Pyxis.

:thumbsup Thank you so much! If all this info doesn’t help with getting them better there is a vet who is willing to try to help and will look at their poop! These are my 2 spoiled girls…That Duck is the one showing me how it feels to be an egg and Pato is the one with the light shining thru her nose! That happened quite by accident and I didn’t see it til I looked at the pics!😂

Attachments

• 39AD68C4-8134-470D-8E3E-26A4FB4A78D0.png
    39AD68C4-8134-470D-8E3E-26A4FB4A78D0.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 25C1019A-6E33-4819-91B0-2B612ED51304.jpeg
    25C1019A-6E33-4819-91B0-2B612ED51304.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom