Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
Quote:
I find it interesting that he doesn't know what his birds have produced and can't tell you where this color came out of in his birds but has been doing this more than 40 years. I have heard of him, know his reputation. Doesn't mean that winning makes you great. I win at shows. Big whoop. Lots of people win at shows and are not folks I would rub elbows with. However, Mr Hawe does have kind words spoken of him, as you have said, too. I do not understand why you just threw that out there though, like you had to make sure everyone knew it. What that statement had to do with anything I have no idea but since you brought it up I find it very curious he produced something he can't explain to you so you come here and ask us. Just saying.....

Far from a sure thing, but I'd say the color In question is based on wheaten with either Colombian or the Db gene along with blue and maybe Ar. I don't remember if its Db or Col that has the darker under feather. They are similar to a project I have going. Wheaten based Cochins are not too common and can vary quite a bit.

Dave

Last edited:
Quote:
I find it interesting that he doesn't know what his birds have produced and can't tell you where this color came out of in his birds but has been doing this more than 40 years. I have heard of him, know his reputation. Doesn't mean that winning makes you great. I win at shows. Big whoop. Lots of people win at shows and are not folks I would rub elbows with. However, Mr Hawe does have kind words spoken of him, as you have said, too. I do not understand why you just threw that out there though, like you had to make sure everyone knew it. What that statement had to do with anything I have no idea but since you brought it up I find it very curious he produced something he can't explain to you so you come here and ask us. Just saying.....
I find this all very curious too.....

Quote: LOL She is 6 months old and ready to be put in a breeding pen. I think I will keep her with another hen in a single 4x4 tractor and put the roo in every 3 days for 2 days visitation and then back to his breeder pen with the 6 other MFC hens. I am going to use Quincy, I do believe. I cut back on my other colors of bantam Cochins to be able to work more with the MF Frizzles.

The lemon blue boy is actually a very yellowed out, sun bleached blue Mottled/splash roo. There is also corn in the milled grain I feed them, though most people say it doesn't cause yellowing and others do. Not sure but he is in the sun as much as he wants to be. he will molt soon and be back to his former glory..... for a while.
This is what he usually looks like.....

I "threw it out there" so there wasn't any questions about whether or not they were random mutts for the sake of a dollar. I am very proud to know Dr Hawes and blessed that he has taken such kind interest in myself and my son. He shared with me recently that he did buy a couple birds to add into his BBS that he can't know all the genetics for as he would those lines he has kept himself for such a long time. You are rather snitty for me just asking for some suggestions/help. I didn't say anything about his winning to brag just that he has raised them for a really long time and does know his stuff. None of us knows everything and since this is clearly a recessive anomaly I was reaching out to a larger pool of folks who might have also had such an expression pop up-- I was tring to week through all the guess work that is polite but not helpful. Dr Hawes is kind. From day one he was willing to answer my questions, kindly, and has never been a braggart or rude to us nor made me feel as though I was intruding or beneath him. Maybe you should rub elbows with him so some of that could rub off?

I hope you'll all excuse me for feeling like I just stepped on the cliques toes here. I know email can come across as we don't intend and you don't know if I am serious or long term or any of that. Still, nice is nice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom