Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

All those Bantam Cochins are beauties! I raise Mottled Bantam Cochins. Have 21 out of 24 (at least) fertile eggs in the incubator currently. Have had chickens forever...but, never Bantams of any kind. I LOVE these little guys. I am trying to decide what to do with these chicks, assuming they hatch, of course. I live in western WV, and the market here is more for your standard size chickens. If I do decide to sell them, hopefully I will find the market is there. The Grand-daughter is putting them in the fair (4H project).
So, my question is, I have 6 mottled (black) hens/1 rooster. I also put a blue rooster with them, along with a buff hen. Should I be doing this? Should I be raising straight mottled, etc.? Will I get blue mottled by breeding the black mottled girls with the blue roo? What will I get by breeding either the black mottled or the blue roo to the buff hen? Will they be 'weird' looking?

I have some pictures of my 8.5 week old Cochins. Can anyone tell me whether they're Bantams and whether each is pullet/cockerel? This is the best place I've found to get accurate info about Cochin Bantams on BYC!!! Many thanks to all those who have helped me!!! :love Now the chick pictures; I'm posting them as small b/c there's two of each chick (and I have a few more of my Frizzle Cochin Bantam) PS: Don't be fooled by the names, we don't think the genders of all the names are accurate; we named them according to size and personality when they were about a week old. Robert Downey, Jr. Prima Donna Lavender My Frizzle Cochin Bantam just finished a brood. She got cocci toward the end and ultimately abandoned the eggs she had left. It was not a great experience for either of us, but at least we both have our first brood under our belts and hopefully we'll both do better in the future. At any rate, she looks terrible!!! The reason I had her in the brooder to begin with was that she suddenly went bald overnight and I didn't want her to continue to be picked on. She's missing feathers from the back of her neck and I know that's b/c my jr. roo tries to mate with her, but she's not in the mood and she's molting so she's not laying. Anyway, here's what she looks like: I used small again b/c I have so many pics in this post. Sorry about that (both small and so many). :oops: Her bare front and underside (breast and belly area) She's bald and has her head pulled down into what few neck feathers she has left. She's not happy. =( Oh, and here's what she looked like before brooding. Every time she moves, she loses at least one feather. Literally!
I am no expert...but it looks to me like you have 2 pullets and a little roo--'Lavendar' has a pretty red comb and waddles compared to the other 2. :)

I believe Cochins have 4 toes but I am not the expert.
wink.png

Maybe she is a mix. Post a pic, we loves pics.
love.gif

She's not in pic-worthy condition right now. =(

But this is what she usually looks like
you were having a convo with someone else. black cocin- but using my pics
roll.png
Me?
I'm sorry!!!

A Cochin should have 4 toes only. A bird with 5 toes was probably the result of a Silkie cross and should never have been marketed as a Cochin. . Your 10 Cochin chicks have the correct number of toes (4).

Thank you!!! =)

no stars upon thars!

I don't understand.
hide.gif

lol.. thanks for the hope i guess......sorry..... i haven't been on hear in a long time!

=) I'm not able to get on as often as I'd like right now. I'm going to be really busy for the next couple of months, so I won't be on as much. =(

Back
Top Bottom