Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

What color is this guy?

this chick hatched below is mom

hen sitting on 2 hatching eggs. one is hers and one is the splash hen

below is dad frizzle. he is ugly in this pic and even uglier now- molting.

My frizzle is molting. It's a combo post-broody & annual molt. Hope she doesn't start laying again until I get pens built.
Gotta remember to set her bucket back up anyway.

For those of you who breed, What size are your breeding pens? and how many Bantam Cochins per pen? I am currently in the plans to build breeding pens for our babies. Right now I have 1 smooth roo to 3 Frizzled pullets and 1 Frizzled Roo to 1 smooth pullet (will be adding a few more girls to the mix). So basically I need to have an idea how much space to allocate 2 breeding pens that can accomodate 4-6 Bantam Cochins.
Thanks for your help plus I would love to see pictures if you'd like to share. :)

I don't have the pens built yet, but they're going to be about 10'x10' and the coops will be about 4'x4' (raised, so as not to take up any of the 100 sq ft of the pen). I'll start with 3 Bantams in each pen; I think the pens will probably accommodate six or more Bantams each (up to six LF).

My new cockerel, Zap!
He is out of my most handsome Shazam.
I also have Shazam's daughters in with my handsoem MF rooster, Xavier.

This is Murphy with the Shazam daughters.

Xavier with Frizzle hens..............

I have been hatching chicks out of both pens in between selling hatching eggs to others. It seems I can't have enough of these beautiful Frizzles my own self.

But wait! These aren't the only ones I have in Frizzle. I am sure I have more photos to share of other Frizzles I have growing up and ready to go into the breeder pens.

Zap is very handsome!!!
I'm looking forward to my frizzle hen brooding some eggs for me this fall.

Beautiful Babies Amy. I just got a frizzled Cockerel From Lynne at Wingshadows. He came from her first hatch from the frizzled Roo "Sparky" she got from you. She had called him "Sparky Jr." But we call him "Caesar". He has beautiful type and color. I just love him.

Here is a picture of Napoleon and Caesar our two Cockerels. .

Here are our 4 current Pullets

We have hatching eggs coming from Lucky Pickens to hopefully get these boys some cute little Mille Fleur and Mottled girls.
I am so excited about these babies. They are so much sweeter than our LF and My children enjoy holding and petting them.

I like the teenage-looking ones in the top picture.

Here is a newbie question. Does Bantam Cochin or any bantams mature faster than LF breeds or do they mature about the same?

Mine were slower, much slower.

this is maggie her feathers are coming in. frizzle/cochin bantam silky chick.

love.gif
I want colors!!! I have black and barred now, but IDK when I'm going to be able to breed my frizzle hen to them. So....im----patientttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mottled bantam hen cracks me up. The past few weeks she started doing this high pitch trill/scram thing and it is so amusing to watch her. She is pretty darn loud too.
My LF do that. My Cochin Bantam didn't start doing that until she was sitting on eggs. But I know what you mean; it's something else to hear such a loud sound come out of such a small chicken.

Had to share pictures of my two boys. I am so in love with this breed and variety. Napoleon is the smooth and Caesar is the Frizzled. Crossing finger I hatch out some pretty ladies for my boys.

Both very handsome!!!
love.gif

My oldest has been helping me out tremendously with my black and barred Cochin Bantams. They're the funniest things!!! I'll get some pics ASAP.

BTW, what colors can I expect? I have a black cockerel and I think the rest are pullets: 2 black pullets, 2 light (gray) barred pullets, 1 dark (gray) barred pullet, and I have a white Frizzle Cochin Bantam hen I'll put in there later.

I have some eggs due today or tomorrow, then more on the 14th then more on the 17th, I might stick some blue splash maran/blue frizzle under the hen after some hatch tomorrow. After the hatch I might send my roo to the great beyond since i am not crazy about him and hubby is out of town.

I set 14 of the eggs these girls had been sitting on in their little coop because when I candled them they were all growing! They are now all in my bator along with a few others I was able to find space for. Can't wait to see my hatch.
There are 2 blue Mottled Frizzle pullets, 2 black Mottled Frizzle pullets, a blue Birchen, a blue Mottled and a self blue hen in with the blue Mottled cockerel. Not everyone is shown in this photo.
If anyone is interested in eggs let me know.

Oh No, Amy, you would have to say that wouldn't you. LOL. I have been coveting your Frizzled Mottled that you posted on Facebook. Showed them to my hubby last night and he was in agreement at how beautiful they were. I have eggs in the incubator for yet another week and of course I am already itching to set more. :) I shouldn't be but of course I am interested in egg from them.

Back
Top Bottom