Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I'm really new to cochins and just purchased some from Rosalyn Pickens. They should be blue mille fleur, but is that a recognized show color? and what is the difference between Mille fleur and calico?

BTW..I have a daughter named Mindi. I used the i..she just has to spell her name all of the time now..doesn't even wait for them to ask, or not, she just wants it right on documents, sales, what ever is going on. She has two handsome young men now, one graduated, and one going to this year. She can't believe she is in her 40's..neither can I. :)
tongue.png

Last edited:
I'm really new to cochins and just purchased some from Rosalyn Pickens. They should be blue mille fleur, but is that a recognized show color? and what is the difference between Mille fleur and calico?

No it is not a recognized color. And the difference between Millie and calico is the color pattern. Millie is a perfect or near perfect pattern like a duccle. Calico has a lot of white or more solid color pattern vrs the Millie pattern.
Even Roslyn's birds are calicos. Some closer to the Millie pattern. I too have a lot of her birds and only 2 with a "good" Millie pattern with most being calico. But I don't breed for standards with color. I do however want to better my type and am working on that even tho my favorite color is the Millie and calico color with my numbers being about 40ish of that color in my coop out of about 75ish birds.

No it is not a recognized color. And the difference between Millie and calico is the color pattern. Millie is a perfect or near perfect pattern like a duccle. Calico has a lot of white or more solid color pattern vrs the Millie pattern.
Even Roslyn's birds are calicos. Some closer to the Millie pattern. I too have a lot of her birds and only 2 with a "good" Millie pattern with most being calico. But I don't breed for standards with color. I do however want to better my type and am working on that even tho my favorite color is the Millie and calico color with my numbers being about 40ish of that color in my coop out of about 75ish birds.
Thank you! I was just wondering because these are mostly just for pets and Being my feathered incubators and I much prefer the calico over the really Mille fleur colored. I am very interested in the lavender color. Is that recognized at all?

Thank you! I was just wondering because these are mostly just for pets and Being my feathered incubators and I much prefer the calico over the really Mille fleur colored. I am very interested in the lavender color. Is that recognized at all?
I'm not sure on lavender. I'm too only a few yrs new them myself. Craig and or Amy would know.

I have some 5 month old millie and blue millies (calicos) from Pickens running around here as well as some year olds. Here are examples on mine.

(only the younger ones in this pic are from Pickens)

WOW!!! Yours are so pretty!!!:eek:
The one in the second pic is stunning.
Looks like mrs Pickens has some good stock?

One of my sweet little Mottled Girls.

This color is easy to know on her. :)

I take it this is one of those threads where most want to talk color, breeding/genetics. Are there some that come on to ask anything..about..a cochin? Is it a good layer? How often do they go broody? Are they friendly? Just wondered if anyone has come on here for these questions.
I can help with any questions if anyone has a question other than breeding them. I have bought the eggs also from a breeder mentioned here. I've hatched all of mine..but this girl. If anyone has a question about hatching these small eggs, I can help with that too. Real quick, I find that they are easier to hatch than silkies, mainly because of the difference in the shape of skulls. I never had good luck with a certain breeder's egg hatching though, I must live too far away. Different shipping areas make a difference I have found. Fun to hatch though, when they get going!

Back
Top Bottom