UGAchick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Riverside, CA
I need some help from the experts:

50487_100_1929.jpg

50487_100_1931.jpg

Ignore my two spectacular mutts in the background.

I am pretty sure that this is a cochin (he was a packing peanut with a friends shipment). Obviously I know that he is frizzled. My questions are as follows:

1. What color is he?

I am thinking of setting up a nice breeder coop for just him and some lady friends.
2. What color offspring will he produce when bred with other cochins?
3. About how many lady friends should I keep with him in order to have good fertility in the eggs and to keep everyone happy?

Thank you!!!

Thanks so much!! I was thinking he was blue, but wasn't sure.

Yes, I understand why I must only have smooth hens. If I breed him to blue, black, or splash, what are the babies going to look like? I know there is some genetic formula here, but I don't know it
smile.png

Blue doesn't breed true, so this is the chart to use. Please note that this chart is based on hatching out 100 chicks at a time, so your percentages may be off if you are hatching smaller amounts:

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Black X Black = 100% Black
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

Mottled?? Oh boy! I need to go look more closely. I think it may just look that way in the picture though.

So if he is blue. What color is she (blueish one in the middle):
50487_100_1938.jpg

She is part of a mixed cochin bunch from Ideal. She is LF (so won't be breeding with my bantam roo, right?). I was thinking that she was blue, but she is quite a bit lighter than the roo.

Back
Top Bottom