Cochin Feet in C

Marion1975

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
So, dont crucify me if this is a completely insane question but........would it be crazy to trim up my cochins feet during the winter? I worry so much about them being wet and then freezing! I'm clearly a newbie! Help!

EggWalrus

Free Ranging
Aug 14, 2017
Southeast Alabama
If they have ice hanging on their fuzzy little feet I would give them a little trim. Those feathers help keep their feet warm but if you're in a place where their feet stay muddy or icy, I'd trim just enough to keep them clean and dry, but that's just me.
:idunno

Marion1975

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
If they have ice hanging on their fuzzy little feet I would give them a little trim. Those feathers help keep their feet warm but if you're in a place where their feet stay muddy or icy, I'd trim just enough to keep them clean and dry, but that's just me.
:idunno

They are wet and muddy all the time! I'm moreso nervous for when its below zero.

EggWalrus

Free Ranging
Aug 14, 2017
Southeast Alabama
We (the birds and I) live on the edge of a swamp and during a drought, it's like a hard packed desert. But most the time is muddy or soaked. I bought some Silkies and had a horrible time with them till I plucked their lower:eek::oops::fl legs and feet. It may sound bad plucking a live chicken, but they were much happier and healthier afterwards.

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
We (the birds and I) live on the edge of a swamp and during a drought, it's like a hard packed desert. But most the time is muddy or soaked. I bought some Silkies and had a horrible time with them till I plucked their lower:eek::oops::fl legs and feet. It may sound bad plucking a live chicken, but they were much happier and healthier afterwards.
Some things are better in the colder climates. :)

Marion1975

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018

Ack I dont know if I could do that!!! It seems like their feet would stay warm in those feathers, until you own some and they're a wet, muddy mess!

Top Bottom