1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cochin Gender....again

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by madicakes, Mar 12, 2015.

1. madicakes

madicakes Chillin' With My Peeps

I have asked this before when this bird was much younger, and I can't seem to pinpoint whether I think it's a hen or a roo. I'm leaning towards roo and my husband thinks hen. No crowing or egg laying yet. It's an 18 week old blue cochin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pullet.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me, too.

4. madicakes

Oooh, I hope it is!

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    At 18 weeks...that is a pullet....getting close to POL too.
    LofMc

6. madicakes

Thank you so much everyone. This "little" girl has had me confused for the longest time. At about 8-10 weeks old I was convinced she was a roo. Then I felt like her tail feathers were getting whispy like a roo, so I was really confused....and didn't want to get my hopes up :) I'm so glad I get to keep her now. She is the only one that made it out of the 9 eggs I tried to hatch.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking pullet, too.

8. madicakes

Well, she's definitely a "she". The silkie who raised her is broody once again. She is sitting on some eggs right now. I have the broody fenced in around her nest box, as she was skipping back and forth to boxes. The past several days I noticed one of the girls had been jumping the fence and laying an egg in her nest, then jumping back out. The silkie's water and food was constantly being knocked over. Yesterday the culprit was caught. The cochin was in the fenced area with the silkie when I came home. So, I'm assuming it's she who has been laying the eggs in the nest for the past few days!! I really need to figure out how to determine which hen is laying which egg.

9. madicakes

Well, now I am thoroughly confused. I let my girls out last night and was watching them. This cochin had very rooser-like behaviors, keeping an eye on things, and even mounted one of the other hens, and was trying to fight with my silkie roo. (Which was funny because BB, my buff brahma hen, came to save the day and got in between them, running off the cochin). So, unless I have a hen who is showing dominance by mating other hens, and fighting with my roo, I have a roo :( So, if it's a roo, that means one of the other hens was sneaking in and out of the silkie's caged area to lay an egg, and the cochin was going in as well, and just happened to be the one we saw in there. The cochin is very attached to my little silkie hen.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have an updated pic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by