Cochin & orpingtons color ?

Outlaw farm

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2021
Hi
I am restating breeding chickens its been years.
Breed one: standard cochins.
Blue laced red cochins;
Plan.
Cross silver laced cochins x gold laced cochins = ??
Then crossing the best marked f1 from that to blues or splashed?

What are your thoughts?

Lemon blues;
Buffs x blues = lemon blues

Breed two; orphingtons
Color: lemon blue
Buff x lavender
Thoughs?

Hi
I am restating breeding chickens its been years.
Breed one: standard cochins.
Blue laced red cochins;
Plan.
Cross silver laced cochins x gold laced cochins = ??
Then crossing the best marked f1 from that to blues or splashed?

What are your thoughts?

Lemon blues;
Buffs x blues = lemon blues

Breed two; orphingtons
Color: lemon blue
Buff x lavender
Thoughs?
Why would you cross the silver laced x gold laced? Silver wouldn’t add the needed mahogany which I mentioned on your other thread. I would cross your gold laced to blues and splashes and keep crossing the blue offspring back to gold laced. Though you wouldn’t have the mahogany of the blue laced reds, they would still be blue laced golds, which you could later add mahogany to. Or you could try to use partridge cochins, but I’m not sure if the crosses would be as straightforward as just crossing gold laced x blue/splash.

Lemon blue cochins already exist, but if you want to make your own, don’t use buff. Use birchen or brown red crossed to blue or splash.

Buff x lavender would most likely give you something like this-
C66D51C5-136C-498C-9973-D3EEBA2B13BB.jpeg
(Not my picture.)
You wouldn’t get blue or the pattern required for lemon blue. I’m not sure if Orpingtons have the right genetics to get lemon blue, so you might have to bring in another breed, such as marans or large fowl cochins.

Why would you cross the silver laced x gold laced? Silver wouldn’t add the needed mahogany which I mentioned on your other thread. I would cross your gold laced to blues and splashes and keep crossing the blue offspring back to gold laced. Though you wouldn’t have the mahogany of the blue laced reds, they would still be blue laced golds, which you could later add mahogany to. Or you could try to use partridge cochins, but I’m not sure if the crosses would be as straightforward as just crossing gold laced x blue/splash.

Lemon blue cochins already exist, but if you want to make your own, don’t use buff. Use birchen or brown red crossed to blue or splash.

Buff x lavender would most likely give you something like this- View attachment 2642383(Not my picture.)
You wouldn’t get blue or the pattern required for lemon blue. I’m not sure if Orpingtons have the right genetics to get lemon blue, so you might have to bring in another breed, such as marans or large fowl cochins.
I have a orpingtons astro cross that looks like that picture

Back
Top Bottom