Cochin question

hencam

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 5, 2007
Massachusetts
I'm hoping one of you cochin breeders out there can give me some advice. I ordered two blue cochins from Meyer Hatchery. At 10 weeks one is a lovely, healthy splash. The other has always been the runt. She's a beautiful slate blue, and I've been told that the dark cochins can sometimes be small. The small size isn't the problem, though. She's always walked as if her pants are falling down. Awkward, slow and not far. As far as I can tell, her feet and legs are fine. I've even trimmed her long feet feathers thinking that maybe they're too big in proportion to her right now (don't worry, I cut just the ends and not down to the quicks.) Am I missing something? Is there something about cochins that I don't know? My first hen was a sweet white cochin, but that was 15 years ago and I haven't had any since then (plenty of other chickens, though all clean-legged) - not until these two.
You can see the cochins on my live-streaming cam at http://www.hencam.com/barncam.php
Thanks
!

A picture might help. I also have a runty cochin, mine came from McMurray. She's blind in one eye. She kind of walks a little off balance and trips over her own feet sometimes. We noticed she keeps her head cocked to the side to look from her good eye and usually pecks in that direction too. She does require a bit of extra care. I make sure she gets plenty to eat and always feed and water in the same places. I also have to watch her closely at free range time as she tends to wander off. Maybe your girl has a vision problem too? Good luck- hope you figure out what's up with her!

Back
Top Bottom