Cochin roo on back

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by girls and guineas, Dec 18, 2012.

1. girls and guineas

girls and guineas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    I have 2 cochin roos that don't like each other, and will fight when together. They start out fine, but will end up fighting. One has ended up on his back, with his feet up. It scared me at first, cause he just laid there, holding his head up looking around and struggling some, like he was trying to get up. I pushed him a little to help him, and he got up! Is this just a sign of submitting, or can't cochins get right side up because of all their feathers?? I was afraid he was really hurt bad, like something broken!!
    I really wish they would get along. Right now I rotate them, 1 in their cage, and the other 1 out with 2 frizzle hens, then the next day the other 1 gets to be out!

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    One of my daughter's d'Uccle bantam roosters did the same thing! Everyone thought he was being killed, but he was always just fine. We've since re-homed the rooster he kept fighting with, but could never figure out why he flipped over and laid there.

I wonder if it has something to do with all of those leg & feet feathers? Maybe they're not as agile as a non-feathered rooster?

3. girls and guineas

girls and guineas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    northern GA
    Thanks for your info!! Christmas blessings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by