Cochin roo?

I have a roo that looks pretty similar to yours.
Can you touch yours? Or go near them without them running away? I've had a bunch of pullets and a cockerell for about a month now, maybe longer, and they won't let me touch them.
Or pet them. They won't fly onto my lap like my older EE blend used to do when she was a youngin. Actually my older hens used to do that alot, they were only fearful of me for a few days.
But a month, or so, these cochins don't like me. I've read on here that cochins are a friendly breed... I disagree! The black ones have pecked my hand when I try to pet them and broke the skin before. I have blue ones too and when I pick them up (which is very difficult) they make these sqwauking noises like theyre dying
sad.png
Then all the other cochins stop what theyre doing and watch, its like they learn from it and they think I'm bad
sad.png
I'm not!
Sorry, I'm going off again... But please tell me how your able to interact with yours.

Quote:
Food and small steps are the key. So far, I have been bribing them with food and it seems to be working really well. I got my chickens as day-old chicks and have been around them for the 3 months we have had them so far. I go out there every night with two pieces of bread and sit in their coop and let them come and sit on my lap and eat the bread. They didn't always come right up to me, so I had to start out by throwing bread to them. Once they started warming up to me I would pick them up, but only for small amounts of time. I would pick them up, feed them bread and stay still and wait for them to calm down. Usually it wouldn't take too long. Once they were calm I would put them back on the ground. Sometimes I would only hold them for like 30 seconds and then put them down. Try not to let them down when they are squirming, because they will learn that if they squirm you will put them down. Wait until they calm down.

I have never had good luck actually petting them. They will put up with me holding them, but once I start petting they will squirm. Another thing that they seem to really enjoy are mealworms that you can get from a pet store for reptiles. Basically every time you pick them up have something yummy for them to eat. I can touch them, but only 1 or 2 don't run away when I come by. They all are a little skiddish if you move quickly.

Did you get your chickens as chicks or were they older? Regardless, small steps and staying calm are key. Hope that helps!

My cochin is very sweet and harms none. He is not aggressive at all towards me but he certainly does not want me to hold him. He has learned to skittle away. He was in a large flock of non cochins and was at the bottom of the pecking orders and the last to roost. He was also the last to show any rooster behaviors and his comb and waddle was slow to develop. Finally he stepped up and decided he would like a girly for himself. But the other rooster did not like it so I divided up a section of the run for him and recently got him a couple of girls for his own.

I think cochins are the hardest to tell what sex they are. It won't be as hard when they have chicks because I will have several and be able to compare them. With mine I just had the one.

Back
Top Bottom