Cochin rooster question

trameghan

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
Alabama
I have searched all over for an answer and maybe I'm missing it somewhere but here goes: How many hens should I have for each LF cochin roo? I have 13 girls and 2 boys. I heard that each cochin needs fewer girls than other breeds. Both my boys are sweethearts and 6 months old. If i need to rehome one I'd like to do it before the hormones really start going and I have 13 bald hens
ep.gif

I have searched all over for an answer and maybe I'm missing it somewhere but here goes: How many hens should I have for each LF cochin roo? I have 13 girls and 2 boys. I heard that each cochin needs fewer girls than other breeds. Both my boys are sweethearts and 6 months old. If i need to rehome one I'd like to do it before the hormones really start going and I have 13 bald hens
ep.gif

I also have 13 hens and 2 roos and about half my flock is riding bareback while I wait for saddles to arrive in the mail. I spray with Blu Cote every other day and I'm hoping they don't get the notion to start pecking that bald spot, but Yes I would say cull one if you can. I can't bring myself to kill either of mine, even though I feel like it when I look at my hens backs. We actually never intended to have any roos, but the hatchery did me a "favor" and thew in a couple of freebies. Thanks Murray! My roos are New Hampshire Red and Partridge Cochin. The PC is very clumsy with the ladies and he pulls out more feathers than Red does, but he is getting better.

Both my boys are super clumsy too. One of my poor barred rocks has a bald spot on her head and a few have some rough looking feathers. For the most part it seems like they can just step out of the way if they aren't interested in him. Both are real good boys so I'm having a tough time deciding who needs to go.

Back
Top Bottom