Cochin Thread, What are the pro's and con's of Cochins

I own 70+ standard size cochins and 2 bantams of every different color! They are very calm, peaceful chickens and easy to care for. I have a 3 year old and 1 year old that play with them without problems. The only con that I know of is that it takes them a while to start laying. But, once they start, mine usually lay at least every other day and most will lay daily. But, when you have this many, you get more eggs than you want!

I'm a newbie to the chicken world but I have to admit...I LOVE my cochins:love:love:love! I have giant, and banties, smooth and frizzled in different colors and they each have their own personality and just come jogging across the side yard like little fluffy teddy bears whenever we open the door!
clap.gif
They are calm and LOVE to be held! I just can't wait to start getting some eggs! I have red, buff, white, silver laced, black, and blue. I also have buff orpington girls which are very similar, my four year old and two yr. old sons enjoy carrying all of them around the back yard! Blessings, Keri

Last edited:
I only have one buff banty roo and I LOVE him! he is my favorite! I pick him up and hold him like a baby, he just folds up! It is so funny to find out that his funny little crow is a cochin thing! I just love to hear him crow it's tooo cute! I put him in a back yard chicken show last month and they said he had some white feathers in his wings and that is not good for a buff. Anyone know what size a banty should be? I was also told he was to big for bantam size, but he def. was to small for standard! I have have also told since I handle him to much while he is young that he will turn mean, anyone know if this will happen with cochins?

Quote:
I agree. Banties mature faster than the LF. The waiting on the big birds seems like forever!
The roos are the most gentle of all my breeds. They are so fun to watch- big slow fluff balls.

Mine did start to lay later than the other. about 7 months old they started. Mine have neat eggs. Darker than my usual RIR eggs, and speckled. Really neat looking. I think this is more individual than the breed itself, but both of my cochins that lay, lay speckled dark eggs. Very pretty.

I don't really like roo's that do that all the time but I guess it is diffrent in all roo's.
BIG CON: They are slow and mellow and the roosters that can't catch the dominant and small/fast hens will constantly breed them. It got to where they were hiding in the coop all day up on the roosts to try to avoid them. I actually caught one rooster breeding one ON the roost

I have one who has all broken feathers on her back from the roosters now The only hen in my entire flock like that.​

Oh I have a hugh CON

They are so cute sweet and great broodies its awful you just fall in love with them and then you are hooked I find my LF cochin far more evil then my little silkie. I think because I love their HUGE size! Mine lays great a med. Light brown eggs almost everyday

Back
Top Bottom