Cochin Thread, What are the pro's and con's of Cochins

I am fairly new to cochins...just under a year of owning them but am extremely addicted to them and their personalities. We have the bantam variety in blacks, blues, a lavender pullet and we just bought a pair of columbians. We saw some really gorgeous LF cochins at the Ohio Nationals so that might be what we gravitate towards next. I never knew how massive they were until we saw them in person! I'd have to say that if we were wanting breeds based solely on their egg laying abilities I wouldn't go with cochins but that's not why we decided to raise them. I just love their cute fluffy butts and their warm personalities. They make great pets for the kids.
wink.png

It's not a problem! My husband built me a very large coop and through the day, I let them out to play in the yard. My kids and I love them! I will begin selling eggs and chickens in the spring. That will help to get rid of some of the eggs!

Quote:

Quote:

I don't like roos that do that either. That is why the worst offender is in solitary confinement right now, and the number 2 offender is going adios after him. My big roo is polite and will ask the girls to squat (LOL). If they don't and try to run, he lets them go....if they do squat...well...you know....

Quote:

I don't like roos that do that either. That is why the worst offender is in solitary confinement right now, and the number 2 offender is going adios after him. My big roo is polite and will ask the girls to squat (LOL). If they don't and try to run, he lets them go....if they do squat...well...you know....

Thats a dream rooster.

OK someone has to ask so I might as well... how are they as a table bird? Do they have any meat to make it worth the trouble if you have too many or need to cull some? No hate mail please, I am really curious about this
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom