Cochin Thread, What are the pro's and con's of Cochins

Doesn't anyone what to talk Cochin?
hide.gif

I have two Standard Blue Cochins, both are 7 months old. Little Ricky is a very good rooster (so far), but he doesn't like me to hold his hens (he gets jealous), so I hold him instead. He looks way bigger than he is, must be the fluffy feathers. Honey is my pullet, she seems to me to be a bit of an airhead. She usually stays in the background, but also pushes the others around at times. She doesn't like to be held and is the first one to go into hiding when something scares them.

Pretty and amusing fluffy fluffy chickens...

Little Ricky looking cool with Honey in the background.

IMG_0807.jpg

Ricky busting out a crow

Rickycrowing.jpg

And the Cochin babies when I thought they were both pullets (Little Ricky in the feeder):

Cochins1.jpg

Honey is amazing!
ep.gif
Is she standing in the coop and I see that Dominique, look at me instead of them
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I purchased a very sweet bantam partridge cockerel from a young gal at the county fair this past summer and had a wonderful time with him for several months. He was wonderful to handle of course, since she worked with him constantly getting him ready for the fair show and exhibition. After I got him home, I held him a lot and rolled his head feather sheaths to unwrap them, he would go to sleep and his little head would hang over my arm. I thought, awwwww isn't this adorable he's going to be just the sweetest little roo, I'll never part with him.

Well..................
smack.gif
Sexual maturity has a way of changing everything. He turned into a little monster
ep.gif
and I don't use that term lightly. I had been on a long hard search for a hen for him and finally found one. She had been in "quarantine" for some time, and I then put her next to his pen so they could become accustomed to each other. I observed them sleeping next to each other up against the fence, so I thought, "Well they look like little lovers ready to meet. This will go smoothly." OMG that poor hen. He was out to rape her. He was not taking NO for an answer. I was trying to let them work it out, but 15 min. into I heard the most blood curdling sound come from the pen and I went running over there to find the hen backed in a corner under a perch and he was looking for an opening. Needless to say I took her out.

Well the long and the short of it........
It took a long time of discipline with him
rant.gif
and depriving him of the girls if he got out of line with them before he got to the point where he was an acceptable roo. He did make it though............with them. However, he was treacherous with me. There were no out and out attacks, of course I knew better than to try to take one of the hens from him, but when I would go in to catch him, he was no longer my little baby that liked to be picked up. I had to CATCH him, and invariably, at some point, while I was holding him, usually when my guard was down and I wasn't paying attention, he would bite. I not talking about a little pinch, I'm talking about drawing blood if he could get a hold of skin, and if he couldn't get skin and had to go through a shirt sleeve, it would leave a sizable blood blister. Of course I'd grab his beak, or his wattles and scold him, all time him battin' his eyes like a toad in a hail storm. That was it though, once only each time and then I could go on and do whatever need to be done, but I could be assured he'd do it again the next time.

idunno.gif
I don't have him anymore. I warned the new owner and she was OK with it, so I have no guilt.

He's not every roo that's handled a lot, but when I saw your post, it jumped out at me. He definitely did an about face when he matured. I think if you're going to spoil a bird, you're better off to do it with a hen maybe.

Quote:
In the fourth pic, is that a porcelain on the left? It looks really similar to a porcelain d'uccle rooster I had. His name was Buddy and was a beauty.

Well yes it is
tongue2.gif

Quote:
In the fourth pic, is that a porcelain on the left? It looks really similar to a porcelain d'uccle rooster I had. His name was Buddy and was a beauty.

Well yes it is
tongue2.gif

It is a very beautiful bird. I would buy it if I were in Africa. I would love to have a porcelain cochin. I love Cochins and I love the Porcelain coloration. If you can't find a good home for him, you can send him my way, LOL!

Quote:
Well yes it is
tongue2.gif

It is a very beautiful bird. I would buy it if I were in Africa. I would love to have a porcelain cochin. I love Cochins and I love the Porcelain coloration. If you can't find a good home for him, you can send him my way, LOL!

Well actualy he's not my bird
hit.gif
would you like the contact number for the breeder who bred and owns him?

Back
Top Bottom