Cochin Thread, What are the pro's and con's of Cochins

Quote:
I do have eggs but my roo is a Salmon Faverolles so I'm not sure what you'd hatch from them!
lol.png

Quote:
I do have eggs but my roo is a Salmon Faverolles so I'm not sure what you'd hatch from them!
lol.png

OMG lol, what a mix that would be!!!! You'll have to hatch some and post pics.

Quote:
lol.png

OMG lol, what a mix that would be!!!! You'll have to hatch some and post pics.

I'm sure I'll have to at some point just to satisfy my curiosity! Of course, she seems to be trying to take the winter off (only 2 eggs in the last week) so it might be a while before I get the chance.
hmm.png

Pro: soft, cuddly, sweet, fun, affectionate, small (I have the bantams), colorful, they look like bedroom slippers
Con: keeping those feet clean
smile.png

Got some new photos!

My Frazzle Cochin "Bantam" pullet
frizzle1209.jpg

My favorite- blue mottle "Blue" pullet
cochinblueB1209.jpg

"The group"
cochmotchks1209.jpg

"Fluffy" black mottle cockerel
cochinfluff1209.jpg

Two of "the group" supervising:
tamchicks1209.jpg

Tammie

I'm looking for LF Cochins in the new england area. Prefer birds but will consider anything I can find. I'm in love!!! Thanks Jessica

Can someone tell or show me the difference between a Giant Blue Cochin and a Giant Barred Cochin. I presume these birds are larger than your average standard size birds but how large? My local feed store will be getting these breeds within the next few months. I already have a black partridge cochin, which I should've name slowpoke on account she's always the last one to appear on the scene.

Last edited:
Quote:
There's at least one breeder working on crele cochins... Here's an eggbid listing from this April for eggs from a crele cochin project. I'd love some too - they're gorgeous!

Cochins are awesome... my roo takes care of all the girls, including chasing off my randy little d'Uccle roo, AND falls asleep while the kids file past to pet him when I take him for show and tell at the elementary school next door! My hen is a sweetheart, and is about to get to be a mama to some golden cuckoo marans eggs after remaining patiently broody for over a month while I figure out what I want to put under her. She has a joint nesting partnership with my EE hen, and for a while they were also sharing with my self-blue MG hen! Three hens, six eggs, four golf balls, and one nestbox.
big_smile.png

Here's my black mottled pair:
29868_img_1463.jpg

Another of the roo, Mr. Sassy Pantss (not the best pic, but you get the idea):
29868_img_1516.jpg

And the one baby of theirs I hatched this year (check out the stance... he's going to be another little roo, methinks!):
29868_img_1931.jpg

ETA a pic of the girls in the box. OH the fluffiness!
big_smile.png

29868_img_1756.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
There's at least one breeder working on crele cochins... Here's an eggbid listing from this April for eggs from a crele cochin project. I'd love some too - they're gorgeous!

Cochins are awesome... my roo takes care of all the girls, including chasing off my randy little d'Uccle roo, AND falls asleep while the kids file past to pet him when I take him for show and tell at the elementary school next door! My hen is a sweetheart, and is about to get to be a mama to some golden cuckoo marans eggs after remaining patiently broody for over a month while I figure out what I want to put under her. She has a joint nesting partnership with my EE hen, and for a while they were also sharing with my self-blue MG hen! Three hens, six eggs, four golf balls, and one nestbox.
big_smile.png

What teamwork!
thumbsup.gif

Expecting my first cochin with a shipment of "magic chicks" for my broody this week.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom