Cochin Thread, What are the pro's and con's of Cochins

my black mottled Cochin roo is a daddy! While away at a swap two hens hatched out thier broods with a total of 21 chicks! I now have bantam black mottled cochin chicks for sale
smile.png

Tammie
"Fluffy"
16448_cochinfluff0510.jpg

Bantam Cochins were my first pure breed. Also, my first show birds, even if they didn't place well. They are still my favorite breed four years later. I've found that with the line that I have, they don't lay much. I, on average, get two eggs per week from each girl. For a while though, my blue girl was laying an egg every day. Now my black girl is sitting on 22+ eggs. Some of which are due to hatch on Sunday. I'm excited. They like to share their eggs and nest duty. I'm hoping for at least one splash baby. My my Cochin owning/breeding experience, I've only gotten blues and blacks.

I've found that these are the friendliest breed that I've owned too. I've never had a problem with a mean roo but I know my friend has had some nasty golden laced boys. I have scars from them. They go broody really fast and that's great for me because I don't have an incubator. The three that I have now will be three years old next month. I'm so excited that they're having babies to continue the next generation at my house. I don't think I'll ever go without at least one bantam Cochin. I am not a fan of the standards. They look funny in my opinion. No offense to those of you that do like them. I prefer the compact size of the bantams. My 10 week old golden comet is bigger than my three year old Cochin and I think it's really funny.

Anyhow, yeah, my favorite breed for life!

Quote:
Do you ever go to any swaps? I'm interested in serama and the cochin's but can't drive 3 1/2 hours to get them.

I do go to swaps but I've been staying in MA for them. Too bad you were not closer!

Tammie

Quote:
Do you ever go to any swaps? I'm interested in serama and the cochin's but can't drive 3 1/2 hours to get them.

I do go to swaps but I've been staying in MA for them. Too bad you were not closer!

Tammie

Any that are closer to the VT border?

Quote:
I have a partridge cochin roo(bantam) and his crow is funny too. it sounds like he has smokers hack.

I'm excited to find this thread because on Monday I'm getting my first cochins! I had to look forever to find standard sized ones- it seems everyone around has bantams which probably at some point I won't be able to resist any longer
big_smile.png
but for now I wanted some big ones. Anyway a breeder in the area had some standard partridge cochins for sale so I'm getting 4. I hear SO MUCH about their great personalities I don't care if they lay well or not since I already get plenty of eggs. These are purely for my own fun!
love.gif

I just had some mottled cochin that hatched out and they have a ton of black on them! Is that normal. All other chicks I've hatched were mostly white, but these are mostly black.

Back
Top Bottom