Cochin Thread!!!

What do you get if you cross a blue Cochin papa and a buff Cochin mama?

Don't say Cochin chicks. That much I know. :p
mutt cochins. nothing that can be easily predicted. sorry.

the only color combinations that would be predictable would be
blue/black/splash
black/mottled
black/barred

Last edited:
mutt cochins. nothing that can be easily predicted. sorry.

the only color combinations that would be predictable would be
blue/black/splash
black/mottled
black/barred

You can also predict the results for these sex linked crosses also:
Gold Laced x Silver Laced

Columbian x Buff Coloumbian

Partridge x Silver Penciled

Didn't have anyone to help but wanted to post a picture of my 10 week old roo I really like him. From wheel chair I didn't dare open the pen door 5 little busy chicks in hubby's garden would not make for a quiet evening. When I get a helper handy will get some good photos of all of them. This little guy might mix well in breeding with my little blue or maybe the black hen but not I think with the 3 partridge.Any way I love this little guy and couldn't contain myself any longer had to share.

lol clocks wrong in camera thats PM.

Didn't have anyone to help but wanted to post a picture of my 10 week old roo I really like him. From wheel chair I didn't dare open the pen door 5 little busy chicks in hubby's garden would not make for a quiet evening. When I get a helper handy will get some good photos of all of them. This little guy might mix well in breeding with my little blue or maybe the black hen but not I think with the 3 partridge.Any way I love this little guy and couldn't contain myself any longer had to share.

lol clocks wrong in camera thats PM.
He is very pretty!

Well, they're here ... all the way from Lynn in CA and not a feather harmed. These are for my Buff Barred Cochin project. I was so relieved when I picked them up at the post office and heard them peeping in the box. The rooster is even more beautiful in "person" and so are the pullets.

Lovely!! I wish reading up on a UK geneticist working on the same thing. He called them lemon cuckoo. He said that having the pure barring gene (2 copies) in the rooster bred back to a buff girl should give 100% lemon cuckoo. Whereas a single gene rooster would produce 25% lemon cuckoo. When i get home later i will dig out the article if you like?

It is a great pattern, so glad people are working on them :)

Last edited:
I have five hens, one is a Cochin. A friend has a baby Cochin that might be a boy. If so, she can't keep him in the city, and has offered him to me. I have had bad roos and do not want another. How are Cochin roosters, in your experience, temperament wise?

I have several cochin roos around, they're all absolute laid back gems. My youngest only flaw, he has yet to figure out how to politely pull on a girls feathers
lau.gif
but he totally takes it when they turn around and slap him, or round house kick him (I'm not kidding, I was watching today and I was like.. huh.. the chuck norris of hens
gig.gif
)
One of my top three rooster breed favs to have around.
love.gif

Lovely!! I wish reading up on a UK geneticist working on the same thing. He called them lemon cuckoo. He said that having the pure barring gene (2 copies) in the rooster  bred back to a buff girl should give 100% lemon cuckoo. Whereas a single gene rooster would produce 25% lemon cuckoo. When i get home later i will dig out the article if you like?

It is a great pattern, so glad people are working on them :)

Yes, thanks. I'd love to read the article.

Yes, thanks. I'd love to read the article.

Hi i found it. It was more of a comment then an article, sorry about that, but here it is. (they called "barred" cuckoo in the UK)

"The relatively new Lemon Cuckoo colour is becoming increasingly popular in the uk, but breeders of the variety have reported difficulties in obtaining Lemon Cuckoo females. In my view, the principles of black and white barring(dosage effect) apply to Lemon Cuckoo and in theory, breeding a light lemon Cuckoo male to a Buff female should result in 100% Lemon Cuckoo Offspring. If a Lemon Cuckoo male is only carrying a single dose of the "Sex-Linked" Barring gene, then half of his daughters will be self Buff no matter what his partner in such a cross carries. This is just something to bear in mind when working with this colour"

This is from "21st Century Poultry Breeding" By Grant Brereton. It is a good basic book of genetics for a beginner like me :)

Hi i found it. It was more of a comment then an article, sorry about that, but here it is. (they called "barred" cuckoo in the UK)

"The relatively new Lemon Cuckoo colour is becoming increasingly popular in the uk, but breeders of the variety have reported difficulties in obtaining Lemon Cuckoo females. In my view, the principles of black and white barring(dosage effect) apply to Lemon Cuckoo and in theory, breeding a light lemon Cuckoo male to a Buff female should result in 100% Lemon Cuckoo Offspring. If a Lemon Cuckoo male is only carrying a single dose of the "Sex-Linked" Barring gene, then half of his daughters will be self Buff no matter what his partner in such a cross carries. This is just something to bear in mind when working with this colour"

This is from "21st Century Poultry Breeding" By Grant Brereton. It is a good basic book of genetics for a beginner like me :)

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Back
Top Bottom