Cochin Thread!!!

These are my two LF boys. I' trying to decide who I'm keeping, but they are awfully young still. Just 2 months. Going by head shape, which one has the potential to mature nicer? Sorry pics aren't great.

The four LF chicks and the bantams.
I'm not a LF breeder, but if I were to guess, I'd say the number 2 bird. The head is a bit shorter which is a good thing. I really is way to soon to know. LF develop very late and if you cull too early you really could be getting rid of your best bird. What I gave you was a GUESS so don't take it to the bank. The only thing interesting about making evaluations at this point would be to see if much later on, you guessed right.

ok cuteness time! LOL

15 chicks... 3 bbs from my mottled pen (who got sold yesterday) and 12 from my red/buff pen with 100% hatch rate on all the eggs set! WOW!

ok cuteness time! LOL

15 chicks... 3 bbs from my mottled pen (who got sold yesterday) and 12 from my red/buff pen with 100% hatch rate on all the eggs set! WOW!
Awesome!! Congrats!! They are adorable!
love.gif

I just got a silkie x cochin cross and named he/she Dumpling! We were supposed to just be getting adult layers but I couldn't resist this little chick.
love.gif

I know he/she is a little young to tell the gender, but hey! Why not give it a guess? Here she is as of today. Sorry for the bad pics, this little one can't sit still!

Nugget got in the way of that one.. She's my 2 month old ameraucana.

I was wondering why he/she has the silkied feathering though?I thought cochin/silkie crosses were supposed to have the smooth feathering. He/she does have a single comb though. Also, what coloration and age do you think Dumpling is? I'm thinking blue for the color but not sure on the age. Thoughts?
idunno.gif

I have 4 assorted Cochin bantams that I bought as chicks back in the middle of February (so they're about 3 months old). I have mostly identified their coloration (partridge, silver laced (?), white and mottled), and we've decided on a gender for all but the mottled. I've included pictures of them all so you can see how developed they all are. The silver and the partridge are females, the white is a male (he's been crowing for the past week or two).

Can anyone give me a definitive on whether our mottled is a hen or a rooster? He/She hasn't made any crowing-like neck moves or any crow like noises.

Our silver hen and our mottled mystery:

She's kind of nesting here:

Before taking off! She/He's a bit shy.

The white cockerel, for comparison of combs:

Here they all are, though it's kind of hard to see. The Welsummer behind them is about 1 week younger.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have 4 assorted Cochin bantams that I bought as chicks back in the middle of February (so they're about 3 months old). I have mostly identified their coloration (partridge, silver laced (?), white and mottled), and we've decided on a gender for all but the mottled. I've included pictures of them all so you can see how developed they all are. The silver and the partridge are females, the white is a male (he's been crowing for the past week or two). Can anyone give me a definitive on whether our mottled is a hen or a rooster? He/She hasn't made any crowing-like neck moves or any crow like noises. Our silver hen and our mottled mystery: Thanks!
A pullet I believe

I had sold my 2 Columbian cockerels (split silver/buff) but they became available again today (I was set to ship out tomorrow)...

so, after refunding the prior buyer, these boys are up for sale again. I'm willing to entertain any reasonable offers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom