Cochin Thread!!!

He tried to call over my bantams hens. Lol!

This is my only Cochin, Dottie. And while she's certainly nothing special, I can't help but adore her
love.gif
I used to have a very large flock of LF, but sold them before we made a big move. I found her at a flea market (paid $5 for her!). I wasn't looking to bring home any chickens that day, and literally walked by her 3 times before I decided she needed to come home with me. Her sad little face just called out to me. She was crammed in a tiny cage with a bunch of cockerels (I think the guy selling her thought she was a boy as well) who had pulled out her entire cushion
sad.png
So, I coughed up my $5 and held her in my lap all the way home. She's still growing her cushion back, but she just started laying last week! If anyone has any mottled bantam Cochins near Jamestown, Tn, I'd love to find her a boyfriend and another pullet or hen to hang out with
fl.gif

I don't always take my phone with me to the coop/run. had I taken it out today and dropped it after 1 1/4" rain I may not have found it. My poor banty EEs got the most of the mud bath. Need more stone dust.

MPC normally drop ships from Meyer. Would love to see some pictures of yours!
Shipping is horrible! I tell every one to get together with people and split an order. But then you always have that one person that ends up ordering EEs and when they arrive you can't tell them all apart!
Oh well. We do the best we can. Even if your just want a basket of eggs sometimes it's best to just go with a local breeder. But I will admit I've already got ideas for my next order from them next year. I know I know it's a horrible habit... I'm trying to quit...... Right?
OK, here ya go. Sorry it took so long to get these posted. Keep in mind that these are 2 week old chicks, just starting to feather out, and a lot of the chicks in the pics are Black Jersey Giants, but you will be able to tell them apart.

OK, here ya go. Sorry it took so long to get these posted. Keep in mind that these are 2 week old chicks, just starting to feather out, and a lot of the chicks in the pics are Black Jersey Giants, but you will be able to tell them apart.
Yours do look a bit lighter then mine did at that age. But I'm still seeing the long legs in yours..... The hatcheries often will cross in some other breeds to help the vigor and type.but they normally try to get it back close to type before selling chicks. I am wondering if they mixed in some brahmas to get the weight up in their flock. Mine kind of walks and acts like a brahma and is the biggest bird in my coop now!

Quick update on my self blue gangly lil dude

a few weeks back

today....

He is not the most attractive thing, but hes got great personality, super sweet, and he's my favorite. I feel like i got lucky to get that chick for free.

Quick update on my self blue gangly lil dude

a few weeks back

today....

He is not the most attractive thing, but hes got great personality, super sweet, and he's my favorite. I feel like i got lucky to get that chick for free.

Oh Wow he has gotten quite handsome. Him and Smokey are definatly very similar. Here is my Smokey, I think they get more handsome as they get older. I absolutely love my Cochins also :D

Back
Top Bottom