Cochin Thread!!!

Very weird! I remember a winter like this years ago but, It was also a first for us to have a major snow storm in Oct so who knows whats up with the weather
th.gif

o really ya the weathers even messed up way up here in ontario its surpposed to be below freizzing up here but its been above and raining normailly its snowing

The Cochin International Western National Meet will be held April 21 at Sedalia Mo. Only saw a post on the CI show date page and have no additional information at this time. Hope to see some of you there. Plenty of time to make plans. Now I have to AI instead of plucking like I had planned.
Craig

The Cochin International Western National Meet will be held April 21 at Sedalia Mo. Only saw a post on the CI show date page and have no additional information at this time. Hope to see some of you there. Plenty of time to make plans. Now I have to AI instead of plucking like I had planned.
Craig

Inquiries on the CI Western National Meet can be directed to Bernita Miller - her contact info and an email link are on the CI website:

www.cochinsint.com

i just want to know if u guys could Critique my 3 1/2 month old bantam Cochin. Does she look like she could be Show quality or just pet? i know it takes a while for Cochin's to grow and they could change over time. i just want to know what u think of her now. the bottom of her feet are yellow, her face is just starting to turn red. she still has alot of feathering to do

Sorry but she will be pet quality only, but I'm sure she's very sweet.

i just want to know if u guys could Critique my 3 1/2 month old bantam Cochin. Does she look like she could be Show quality or just pet? i know it takes a while for Cochin's to grow and they could change over time. i just want to know what u think of her now. the bottom of her feet are yellow, her face is just starting to turn red. she still has alot of feathering to do

Stephanie,
3 1/2 months is a bit young to critique much about any chicken as far as evaluating its show room potential. That said, this is what I can tell from the photos about your Black Cochin.
1. She should have more cushion. Even at 3 1/2 months, good blacks look like miniature versions of their future selves.
2. She has very sparse leg/foot feathering. It appears she is only feathered down the outside of her shanks. You want good full feathering covering most of the shank, tops of the feet and toes.

Based upon those two things I think she probably isn't what would be considered a class contender in the show hall. Each breed has its own breed characteristics, and they are described in the Standard of Perfection. The SOP provides a word picture of the ideal specimen in each breed. A bird that lacks those characteristics won't do well in stiff competition in the show hall, and wouldn't be a bird you'd want to use in your breeding program if your goal was to breed toward that ideal description.

Tom

Craig

Wish the "western" meets were more western.

Wish the "western" meets were more western.

Western Meet for 2013 falls in the Pacific District. Any more Western than that and it will be a Waterfowl National. :)

For the sake of some additional info on this topic, CI holds two Nationals a year, one East of the Mississippi, and one West of the Mississippi. The respective Nationals rotate through the Districts that fall in the East and West. 2011 Western was in the West Central District (Iowa), 2012 is in the SW District, 2013 is in the Pacific District. The 2011 Eastern National was at Crossroads (North Central District), and the 2012 Eastern National will be at a show in the NE 2 District. 2013 Eastern NAtional falls in the SouthWest District. And so on, including a rotation to Canada every few years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom