Cochin Thread!!!

What do you mean of the sort hard to tell? Could blacks be yellow with grey backs like the blues would be??

It could be that hen or Roo is a Recessive black!? I have a recessive white hen Who is actually a barred cochin, I found that out when i bred her to my EE Roo and hatched out sexlink chicks barred boys and non barred hens. As it was explained to me think of it as you chicken is actually blue but is wearing a black over coat that covers it up. Or maybe it is a really dark navy blue that looks black, I Bought some blue cochin chicks that looked just like a black chick should, but when they started feathering out it was a really dark navy blue. Looks black in some light and blue in others!
I am not a genetics expert but i got a lot of help when i posted in the genetics section, you should do that with a pic of the parents and the chicks hatched from them.

Quote:
It could be that hen or Roo is a Recessive black!? I have a recessive white hen Who is actually a barred cochin, I found that out when i bred her to my EE Roo and hatched out sexlink chicks barred boys and non barred hens. As it was explained to me think of it as you chicken is actually blue but is wearing a black over coat that covers it up. Or maybe it is a really dark navy blue that looks black, I Bought some blue cochin chicks that looked just like a black chick should, but when they started feathering out it was a really dark navy blue. Looks black in some light and blue in others!
I am not a genetics expert but i got a lot of help when i posted in the genetics section, you should do that with a pic of the parents and the chicks hatched from them.
Thanks this helps! My black hen is from show stock black parents. He breeds specifically blacks together. My black roo is from a different breeder. He has black show stock but his projects are blues and splashes. We got the roo and 2 blue pullets from him. So it could be that the black roo has lots of blue in his background even tho he is a good black because of the projects. Regardless I would love more black hens and a blue roo. So I can't wait to see what happens! My black hen is broody now so it will be awhile before I can collect more egg from her... I think I get it now... They are cute regardless!

Yes you can start a good flock with those birds. Those are Pam Hamilton birds aren't they? If so you will find them to be very good quality birds. If your eggs aren't fertile in a week then pluck more feathers. If you use the Columbian male on the Black hen you will have some VERY interesting birds. PM if you have any questions.
Craig

They are from Pam Hamilton. Thank you. I will keep in touch. I have about 4 eggs from her right now, but no incubator. As much as I hate to do it, I may just crack em open and check for fertility. My bator should be freed up in about 2 weeks. I need a sportsman....lol. Any suggestions for a breeding program? I would love to have someone else to hatch these out as well and maybe swap birds for fresh blood every few years. Anyone interested?

I am so excited to be adding these Lemon Blues to my flock~ Thank you to Heather at Heavenly Springs Farm~ I gathered my 2nd egg today!!! Can't wait to see these chicks hatch out~ I bought another pullet as well but she was being camera shy today. Not a great picture of the hen, she's gorgeous~ Oliver & Isabelle~

Last edited:
I am so excited to be adding these Lemon Blues to my flock~ Thank you to Heather at Heavenly Springs Farm~ I gathered my 2nd egg today!!! Can't wait to see these chicks hatch out~ I bought another pullet as well but she was being camera shy today. Not a great picture of the hen, she's gorgeous~ Oliver & Isabelle~

OH those are Beautiful. Now why did I have to see these now I want some. Just what hubby needs to hear "Honey we need some more cages built I am getting me some Lemon Blues to add to our ever growing flock "lol they are just breathtaking to me anyway.
deana

Those chickens are breath-taking! You are very lucky.

love.gif
My favorite color!

Yes, I am very lucky! These birds were very hard to find~ I am looking forward to getting them in top condition, they are such a great addition to my lemon blue project~
big_smile.png

Twyla, you are going to have so much fun with the Lemon Blues! It looks like you're off to a great start! Glad to see more poeple working with the Brown Reds and Lemon Blues!

Back
Top Bottom