cochin vs brahma

nursebettie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 15, 2011
Yakima, WA
I was wondering if anyone has had cochins and brahmas and which one makes a better family bird. What are the real differences in the two?

Both breeds are a nice choice when it comes to a family breed or for kids. I myself am a devoted Cochin fan, and the frizzles add a nice little kick too, lol. It really comes down to a personal preference. Brahmas only come in a few varieties where as Cochins come in several. If I were to give advice though, and not just because im a Cochin freak, I would say Cochins are a more docile, easy going, and layed back breed. Brahmas arent terribly flighty or otherwise a pain, but there is just something about Cochins. The best advice I can give is this: Get a pair of so of each breed and keep them awhile. You could even get chicks, that way you know the tempermant as chicks as well as juveniles and adults. Then you can make the choice for one or both breeds, and which suits your families needs more.

~Casey

I've raised both breeds in large fowl over the years. I would have to say my experience has been different. While both are fairly mellow, I have found Brahmas to be the more laid back, easy keepers. Other Brahma traits I find advantagous. Pea combed, no frostbiten comb issues. Less excessive feather, no need to AI with show birds. Produce a hefty enough carcass that butchering is a viable option for extra cockerels, etc.

I bet Brahmas lay better than cochins.
tongue.png

I've had both breeds. They are both very good docile breeds (usually) however I have always been more partial to brahmas - just love those heavy brows and 'super serious' looks on their faces.
smile.png

Cochins the great thing about them is they come in more colors than brahmas do and the different colors are easier and cheaper to get than the new brahma varieties.

My 7 year old daughter carries our huge 13+ lb brahma rooster around and he just doesn't care. he is the pussycat of all my roosters (all the others are banties though, so that may explain it - LOL )

Quote:
in hatchery birds - no your not going to see much of any difference.

Hatchery birds VS "breeder/show quality" or what we call Exhibition line birds there tends to be a big difference in laying - hatchery birds are bred to be production birds - more eggs. exhibition birds are bred for their looks to conform to standard and nowadays many breeders don't count egg production as part of their breeding choices...

So if your looking for a good egg layer - either breed from a hatchery is what you're probably going to want. When I had both breeds I'd say both laid about the same 3-5 a week.

Back
Top Bottom